Mixing Vocals n Using Reverbs

Please post your Mixing Question here for Pro Tools, Logic Audio and GigaStudio. Zumbido is our resident expert.

adamlloyd83

Mixing Vocals n Using Reverbs

Post by adamlloyd83 »

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me their opinion on using the LinMB compressor for pop vocals in mixdown. It seems this is the only tool that gets me close to the vocal sound im going for, but my ears play tricks on me and I'm having trouble finding the best settings. I use a couple other compressors to level and gently compress the tracks first, but the LinMB seems to be the best thing for shaping the timbre and making them sizzle. I just have trouble finding the best settings for the attacks and releases of the bands, etc. Any suggestions?

Also, is using predelay in reverb units something that should always be done, or is it more of a stylistic preference?

Thanks
Adam
adamlloyd83

PS

Post by adamlloyd83 »

P.S. Also, if anyone is familiar with the Waves eq plugins, I was wondering if y'all think the RenEQ plugin is superior in mixdown across the board (compared to say, the Q1 series), or does it really matter on the application? Just curious.
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Mixing Vocals n Using Reverbs

Post by har-bal »

adamlloyd83 wrote:Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me their opinion on using the LinMB compressor for pop vocals in mixdown. It seems this is the only tool that gets me close to the vocal sound im going for, but my ears play tricks on me and I'm having trouble finding the best settings. I use a couple other compressors to level and gently compress the tracks first, but the LinMB seems to be the best thing for shaping the timbre and making them sizzle. I just have trouble finding the best settings for the attacks and releases of the bands, etc. Any suggestions?

Also, is using predelay in reverb units something that should always be done, or is it more of a stylistic preference?

Thanks
Adam

Adam

Use these settings if you are using Waves Rverb for vocals

Predelay 18.2-23 msec
Time 1.67
Size 71.4
Diffusion 0
Decay Linear
Early reflections -40.0 dB
Reverb -0.0 dB
Wet/Dry Mix 6-13% (Too taste)
Gain 0
Decorrelation 0
Damping f=256, r=1.00; f=3329, r=0.20
EQ f=331, g=0 dB; f=1000, g=-11 dB

Look at our mastering manual for the correct use of the waves LinMB

Cheers

Earle
adamlloyd83

Post by adamlloyd83 »

Earle,

Those RVerb settings helped a LOT, thanks!!!!!

A