Using references

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
pt100

Using references

Post by pt100 »

Hello!

I use Har-Bal a lot and it has truly helped me and my band to achieve the sound we want. Thank you!
Althoug I have gotten great results I have a question about how to "correctly" use a reference.
When I load my mixdown of a song into Har-Bal it usually deviates slightly from the typical ideal balance of bass, midrange and treble (which is why I use it off course). Also, since the level of my mix is lower than the reference it shows up several dB's under the reference. So, my first move is to use the gain-tool to move the whole curve(unaltered shape) to the level of the reference so I can easier see the deviance. But, when doing this, if I put the bassrange of my song in line with the reference bassrange, the deviance (typically) will suggest that my treblerange is lacking and needs a boost to match the reference line. But if I put my treblerange in line with the reference the deviance will show the bassrange of my song to be overprominent and needs to be lowered to match the reference. Does it matter how I do this? Since it's a matter of the balance maybe it doesn't. It "feels" better to lower the response rather than boosting it though. Maybe I haven't really understood the principle. Any comments would be helpful! :)
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Using references

Post by har-bal »

pt100 wrote:Hello!

I use Har-Bal a lot and it has truly helped me and my band to achieve the sound we want. Thank you!
Althoug I have gotten great results I have a question about how to "correctly" use a reference.
When I load my mixdown of a song into Har-Bal it usually deviates slightly from the typical ideal balance of bass, midrange and treble (which is why I use it off course). Also, since the level of my mix is lower than the reference it shows up several dB's under the reference. So, my first move is to use the gain-tool to move the whole curve(unaltered shape) to the level of the reference so I can easier see the deviance. But, when doing this, if I put the bassrange of my song in line with the reference bassrange, the deviance (typically) will suggest that my treblerange is lacking and needs a boost to match the reference line. But if I put my treblerange in line with the reference the deviance will show the bassrange of my song to be overprominent and needs to be lowered to match the reference. Does it matter how I do this? Since it's a matter of the balance maybe it doesn't. It "feels" better to lower the response rather than boosting it though. Maybe I haven't really understood the principle. Any comments would be helpful! :)
PT100

Glad you are enjoying the program.
Okay, assumably you are using the green spectrum line as a guide?

You are correct in using the gain cursor to move the whole song upwards to place it in the general area of the reference.

Remember this:

When you pull it up look at the highest area in the bass region. In other words if your highest peak is at 64.6hz, this will be your starting point and then you work to the right, somewhat matching until you see your song sloping down. If you have a loud cymbal or hand clap, etc it may appear in the area above the 5khz region.
You can (if you wish) bring it down.
Even if you use a reference you only want to use the area that YOUR song covers and NOT the area outside of this region.
If you try to exact match the entire spectrum 20-2000, your song will not sound right because you will be uncovering masked frequencies that were not used in your original song.
A good point is this:
When you use a reference and you are matching try to not go above the green line anywhere on the spectrum.

Earle
pt100

Post by pt100 »

Thanks for your reply!

Since my current homestudio is in a small room and I haven't had the time to treat it properly to tame the acoustics, I have some serious bass-issues. Although I also use headphones to judge the bass in the music, it's really hard to get it right. So I try to use Har-bal to get a reference. If I use my bass-peak as a starting point and work the other areas I might make things worse? This is of course a mixing-problem due to my room, but I'm trying to partly get around it with Har-bal.