EQ filter files and Reference files question.

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
vicsant

EQ filter files and Reference files question.

Post by vicsant »

Hello Earle,

How is an EQ filter (mfl) file different from a reference (anl) file?

When working on a song with HarBal, and I'd like to compare it to a reference song from a CD, will the mfl and anl files created from that CD song be different?

I hope I got this right from the tutorial....to create the anl file for that CD song, I simply have to open that song into HarBal, and the anl file is generated in the song's directory.

Opening this song will also show the song's Spectrum graph in HarBal. Now if I click the save as filter icon, a mfl file for that song is thus saved.

Going back to my original song in HarBal, which file should I use to base my tweaks on...the mfl or the anl file?

Regards,

Vic
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: EQ filter files and Reference files question.

Post by har-bal »

vicsant wrote:Hello Earle,

How is an EQ filter (mfl) file different from a reference (anl) file?

When working on a song with HarBal, and I'd like to compare it to a reference song from a CD, will the mfl and anl files created from that CD song be different?

I hope I got this right from the tutorial....to create the anl file for that CD song, I simply have to open that song into HarBal, and the anl file is generated in the song's directory.

Opening this song will also show the song's Spectrum graph in HarBal. Now if I click the save as filter icon, a mfl file for that song is thus saved.

Going back to my original song in HarBal, which file should I use to base my tweaks on...the mfl or the anl file?

Regards,

Vic
Vic

You are correct regarding the creation of the .anl files, however let me explain how the .mfl or filter file is created.

When you open a song in Har-Bal the very first thing you do is sculpt the spectrum. When you are finished you can then click on File/Filter/Save as and create a filter file that remembers the complete changes you made.

For instance I have five songs all recorded in the same studio.

I harbalize the first one and create a filter. The changes I made to this song was to low shelve at 40hz. Increase 64hz by 3db and increase 15khz by 2db's

I know load the second song. Well instead of doing it all over again, I can just load the filter and it will make the same changes to the track that I did with the first one.

I can then repeat the process for the 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Remember this: You can only create a filter when you make changes to a track.

You can't load a track and just tell it to create a filter without making any changes. The filter ONLY remembers the CHANGES you have made, otherwise it would completely change the spectral content of every song you load.

Cheers

Earle
vicsant

Post by vicsant »

Thanks Earle,

I hope I got it right. So the mfl is a quick way to apply the filter of song 1 to songs 2 to 5. And if song 1 mfl doesn't work too well with song 2, I then make some changes and when I save those changes, that is a new filter for song 2, which I can then apply to 3, 4 and 5.

If I had a song 1 anl file, when would I use that? And how would it differ from using song 1 anl to tweak song 2 as compared to using song 1 mfl to tweak song 2?

Regards,

Vic
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

vicsant wrote:Thanks Earle,

I hope I got it right. So the mfl is a quick way to apply the filter of song 1 to songs 2 to 5. And if song 1 mfl doesn't work too well with song 2, I then make some changes and when I save those changes, that is a new filter for song 2, which I can then apply to 3, 4 and 5.

If I had a song 1 anl file, when would I use that? And how would it differ from using song 1 anl to tweak song 2 as compared to using song 1 mfl to tweak song 2?

Regards,

Vic
Vic

If you had a song 1 .anl that could be your initial guide.

Follow me in this process for a moment.

1. I load my song but it has a lot of peaks and valleys in it. As a matter of fact it has so many that I think I am going to use a well mastered song from the same genre as a guide.

2. Now I am looking at my song and I also see the reference file in the background..hmmm

3. I see how screwed up my bass region is so I will match my song to the bass region from the reference by sculpting the spectrum. hmmm,, Sounds much better I think I will press the record buttom (WAIT A MINUTE!!)

4. Let me save the changes I just made as a filter so I can apply the wonderful bass region to all of my tracks and save time. (This works effectively if you were using the same instruments)

Is it coming together. Can you see the usefulness of creating filters?

Earle
vicsant

Post by vicsant »

Ok. I believe I've got the proper workflow. :D

Thanks again Earle.

Regards,

Vic
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

vicsant wrote:Ok. I believe I've got the proper workflow. :D

Thanks again Earle.

Regards,

Vic
You are quite welcome. Just let us know how you are coming along.

Earle
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

har-bal wrote:
vicsant wrote:Ok. I believe I've got the proper workflow. :D

Thanks again Earle.

Regards,

Vic
You are quite welcome. Just let us know how you are coming along.

Earle
Don't forget that if you are using eq'ing an entire cd you can use the batch analysis function.

Earle