10 bands Eq

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
serged

10 bands Eq

Post by serged »

Hi,

I use Har-Bal to eq my orchestral pieces and then applied reverb, compression etc...

A final piece was played in the Windows media player and I tried their 10 bands Graphic eq. It's weird but the swing preset make shine the piece. I'd like to transpose this setting in Har-Bal but there is no evidence.

Alongside with the actual interface are 10 sliders would be something nice in Har-Bal ?

SergeD
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: 10 bands Eq

Post by har-bal »

serged wrote:Hi,

I use Har-Bal to eq my orchestral pieces and then applied reverb, compression etc...

A final piece was played in the Windows media player and I tried their 10 bands Graphic eq. It's weird but the swing preset make shine the piece. I'd like to transpose this setting in Har-Bal but there is no evidence.

Alongside with the actual interface are 10 sliders would be something nice in Har-Bal ?

SergeD
Serged

How are you?

If you want to capture the settings, why not record the output top a cd recorder (not burner) and the extract the data as a wave file into your pc.. or use something similar to a wma recorder and record the file as a wave as it is playing.
You can then feed this info into Har-Bal and create a reference file.

Earle
serged

Post by serged »

Not a bad idea !

I'll try with a short record of a single chord covering all the bandwidth using some preset eq's. Perhaps something of an exact reproduction of those settings will appear in Har-Bal.

Thanks,

SergeD
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Serge,

If you want to copy EQ presets like this then you'll need to use a broadband signal to measure the response. I'd suggest creating a wave file recording of pink noise and playing that back through wmplayer with the EQ setttings you want to capture and recording the output to wav file to be analyzed in HarBal.

Overall, the analysis engine in HarBal is pretty useful. I've been using it to optimise my room acoustics (ie. figuring out what frequency selective damping I require) and have been making good progress. Time is the limiting factor. I don't have much to spend on it and desiging and building acoustic treatments requires quite a bit. One day I'll have it sorted...

Paavo.
serged

Post by serged »

Hi,

I followed your suggestion using, a pink noise file, and created some filter files. I don't know why but it seems that those filter files does not get loaded into Har-Bal along with my songs. I mailed you the filter files. Maybee you could tell me what's wrong with those files.

With a pink noise file many presets could created. That would be great.

SergeD
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Serg,

How did you create these? I suspect you didn't build a filter at all but have just created flat filter files (which is how they look when I open them).

This is what you were supposed to do. Open up the filtered pink noise file as a reference in HarBal. Open up the unfiltered pink noise file as the current session. Use the filter design tools to make the unfiltered pink noise look like the filtered pink noise. Save the filter. Did you do this?

Regards,

Paavo.
serged

Post by serged »

It's ok now. I taught that I only had to save the filter using the button "saving filter".

Thanks,

SergeD