Har-Bal receives award from EQ Magazine

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
Har/Bal

Post by Har/Bal »

Har-Bal has received the "EQ Exceptional Quality Award" from EQ magazine in their January 2004 issue.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Congratulations, guys!

Jay

P.S. Any ETA on the update?
Har/Bal

Har-Bal future releases

Post by Har/Bal »

Hi Jay,

Appologies for the delays but my personal life has been taking me away from the HarBal project a lot lately. This is likely to continue until we (me and my family) move in to our new house which should hopefully occur within the next two months.

To your question, the next release is most likely to occur around the end of the January. The issues I have on my feature list include:

1)Recent files history
2)Shelving filter tool
3)Gain setting stored in filter files
4)Names of source/filter files and power figures of merit displayed on graph
5)Background record feature (batching)
6)Toggle playback on/off with spacebar
7)Original spectrum displayable on graph
Minimum phase filter
9)Mono file support
10)Asio,DirectX and multimedia driver support
11)Output level attenuator
12)Filter Q locking by pressing shift key
13)Prompting tip linked to spectrum region being adjusted
14)Graph plots switchable (ie. visible or invisible)
15)Option to turn off splash screen
16)Modal playback - either as is or a continue mode whereby when you press stop the track position remains at the position stoped rather than returning to the starting position.
17) No glitch EQ in/out toggle - this is a bug fix rather than a new feature.

If you have anything else that you want in the next release you could always give me your suggestions.

As of today the following are implemented: 3,4,9,10,12,17

If you would like to get an early peak into it and help with the testing I can make an Alpha version available. Just bare in mind that the main aim is to make it feature complete so I won't be addressing bug fix issues until all new features are in place. So if you do participate please be patient with my responsiveness.

Regards,

Paavo.
stevie

Har-Bal future releases

Post by stevie »

Hi,
Congrats on the "Exceptional EQ Quality Award".....finally!

Maybe another one.
Let there be an option to choose the sound-card inside the Harbal program, instead of Windows telling you what to use.
Would be a great feature, if you have more than one sound-card inside your box.

Have you figured the phase-reverse thing out yet ?

Regards,
Stevie

Alpha/Beta ?.....I would be happy to some testing !

Xp Pro (Sp1)
WL4.01b
Nuendo 2.1
RME 96/32
2X AMD MP2600
1Gig Ram
G450 dual head
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252F IDE
Plextor 708A DVD RW
PIONEER CD-ROM DR-766 SCSI
Tekram SCSI-3 adapter
Fujitsu SCSI 70G audio disk
Maxtor One-touch drive USB2.0 300G backup disk
stevie

Extra's ?

Post by stevie »

Play button in the 'open' dialog .
Drag & Drop support.

Stevie
zumbidoman

looping?

Post by zumbidoman »

Is there a way to set up a loop?

I would find it useful to set up a starting point, for instance, at the beginning of a chorus and a end point at the end of the chorus.

Also, maybe a way of, at least, temporarily storing several EQ settings that can be selected in real time within the a single file. One may want a different EQ or level for different sections within a song or piece.

There is a similar way of doing this with T-rackS.

Very happy to see MONO support coming. I have been using Har-Bal to harmonically balance single tracks (i.e., bass guitar) then replacing the original with the "Har-Bal'd"one before mixing.
Har/Bal

Driver support

Post by Har/Bal »

Hi Stevie,

You can choose the driver you want in the current Alpha. That is part of the new driver support feature. It also allows you to select which interface to go through (ASIO, DirectX or multimedia). For ASIO devices you can also select the channels you wish to playback through (ie cards with more that 2 channels).

I haven't looked at the phase reversing thing yet but will do at some stage. The glitching between EQ In and out is now completely removed.

Regards,

Paavo.
Har/Bal

looping?

Post by Har/Bal »

Loop support is something I'm considering but it will depend upon time constraints. I have a lot to get through.

The Multi-EQ suggestion is part of our future development plans but won't be appearing in this version. To make it useful Har-Bal would require some radical (yet to be determined) changes to the user interface. A great deal of design work is required before we will attempt this feature because we want to get it right first time.

Regards,

Paavo.
dgkenney

EQ Award

Post by dgkenney »

Congrats on the EQ award...well deserved. And, good luck with the new house.

I am eagerly awaiting the update and will really appreciate numbers 3, 12 and 17.

Dan
shockwave199

Re: EQ Award

Post by shockwave199 »

Congrats!! The enhancements coming in the next release are outstanding! Thank you!! Good luck all the way around. Can't wait for the new release!

Dan
Jay

Har-Bal future releases

Post by Jay »

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have anything else that you want in the next release you could always give me your suggestions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like you've got the biggies covered, Paavo, though there are some additional good suggestions in this thread, too.

Quote:
If you would like to get an early peak into it and help with the testing I can make an Alpha version available.

Sure, if you think it'd be fruitful. I can appreciate you wanting to wait, but if you'd like some help testing, I'd be happy to.

Jay
Har/Bal

Har-Bal future releases

Post by Har/Bal »

Thanks Jay,

The suggestions in this thread are in hand. I'll keep the offer of testing in mind.

I would just like to get it a little closer to a Beta than an Alpha before getting more input. I've got quite a bit to do yet. Maybe in two weeks time I could do with some input from you and anyone else who is interested.

Cheers,

Paavo.
SpiderM69

Re: Har-Bal future releases

Post by SpiderM69 »

Congrat's!!! Well deserved!!!
levit71

Keyboard

Post by levit71 »

"Key Buy" award from Keyboard magazine; check out the current issue. Congrats again, fellas.
Har/Bal

Thanks

Post by Har/Bal »

One of my friends actually called and told me about that. Thanks for looking out.

Earle