Newbie question re drawing trace lines

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Susan G

Newbie question re drawing trace lines

Post by Susan G »

Hi all-

Sorry for the basic newbie GUI question. Should I be able to match a source file to a filter exactly? I'm not suggesting I would ever want to, but I just want to know how fine my control should be over the trace adjustments. I know about holding the Shift key down to maintain the Q. It seems whatever I drag, other portions of the trace change, and I just want to make sure this is to be expected.

TIA!

-Susan
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Susan,

If you really need to you should be able to make a perfect match though it will take a lot of adjustments to do so for the reasons you were getting at. But note that this is not what Har-Bal is intended for and exact matching will result in poor EQ outcomes for reasons discussed elsewhere (on many occasions) in this forum.

If you have a sharp peak that you wish to bring down and not affect the adjacent spectral content much bring it down with multiple adjustments a little bit at a time.

Cheers,

Paavo.
Susan G

Post by Susan G »

Thanks, Paavo!

-Susan
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

Another thing to consider if you see a sharp peak (up or down) is revisiting your mix or adjusting your room.

Especially if these peaks occur in all your mixes.

Har-Bal can really help point out acoustic problems in your mixing environment.

Keep in mind that what you see in Har-Bal is the inverse of your problem. That is, if you consistently see a large dip around 120 Hz, your room probably emphasizes this frequency so therefor you take it out of your mix.

If your mixes sound dull on other playback systems, outside your studio, then probably your room or monitors are too bright.

On and on and on.