Unable to edit picks and average separately

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
yuriblus

Unable to edit picks and average separately

Post by yuriblus »

Just bought Har-Bal.

From reading the manual and posts on this forum I concuded that there's
a way to edit yellow (pick) and green (average) lines separately from each other.

However I'm unable to do that. Any changes brought to yellow line simultaneously
reflected on the green one and vice versa. Using Tab while hold left mouse button pressed allows to switch gain cursor from peak line to average and back but I consistently fail at the attempt to edit each line separately.

I'm perplexed: is it intentional or am I doing something wrong?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks, Yuri
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Editing the lines sererately simply means that you can change the tool focus from say, the green line to the yellow line, and do the adjustment from there. It does not mean that you can adjust them independent of one another, which you can't, as you have found out.

The reason why changing focus from one line to another is important is because the preview of the change is only shown for the plot with focus. If you want to control a peak on the yellow line while adjusting the green line it is pretty hard to tell what you should do.

Following on from not being able to adjust them seperately, the reason is that HarBal creates a stationary (time invariant) filter that is "tuned" to your tracks spectrum. To be able to adjust peak independent of the average trace implies a time variant filter characteristic. This is something that HarBal will handle (in one way or another) in the future, but for now our priorities are in releasing a VST plugin and a Mac port. After these jobs are out of the way, future improvements along these lines will be under development.

Regards,

Paavo.
yuriblus

Post by yuriblus »

Paavo,

Thank you very much for clarifying this.

"It does not mean that you can adjust them independent of one another, which you can't, as you have found out. "

I think it's something worth mentioning.
Imagine my situation: I tried to edit wave file where solid peak on yellow line and large valley on green happened to be almost in the same frequency range! :-)

You and Earle did tremendous job to help beginners to learn this tool quickly and efficiently. However, the logic of Earle's step by step presentation: to identify peaks on the top line and bring them down, then identify valleys on the bottom line and bring them up -- implies that somehow it can be done independently.

I think it should be noted in the tutorial and in the "Quick Start " article that as of now peak and average line are interdependent and any change on the peak line will be simultaneously reflected on the average line and vice versa. The issue of independent editing is planned for future releases.

And one more thing: If I render a file form Har-Bal under a certain name, and then upon
further editing decide to overwrite it, Har-Bal let me do it without any warning.
I think it would be nice if the program notified user about an attempt to overwrite an existing file. People make mistakes and a simple safety feature would be handy.

Regards,

Yuri
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

However, the logic of Earle's step by step presentation: to identify peaks on the top line and bring them down, then identify valleys on the bottom line and bring them up -- implies that somehow it can be done independently.
eh, the guys got a point there...
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

yuriblus wrote:Paavo,

Thank you very much for clarifying this.

"It does not mean that you can adjust them independent of one another, which you can't, as you have found out. "

I think it's something worth mentioning.
Imagine my situation: I tried to edit wave file where solid peak on yellow line and large valley on green happened to be almost in the same frequency range! :-)

You and Earle did tremendous job to help beginners to learn this tool quickly and efficiently. However, the logic of Earle's step by step presentation: to identify peaks on the top line and bring them down, then identify valleys on the bottom line and bring them up -- implies that somehow it can be done independently.

I think it should be noted in the tutorial and in the "Quick Start " article that as of now peak and average line are interdependent and any change on the peak line will be simultaneously reflected on the average line and vice versa. The issue of independent editing is planned for future releases.

And one more thing: If I render a file form Har-Bal under a certain name, and then upon
further editing decide to overwrite it, Har-Bal let me do it without any warning.
I think it would be nice if the program notified user about an attempt to overwrite an existing file. People make mistakes and a simple safety feature would be handy.

Regards,

Yuri
I will make the correctIon. I can see how that could be confusing to folks. Thanks for pointing that out.

BTW: I read your bio on your home site www.russianblues.com .

Fascinating story!

Cheers

Earle
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for the pointers. I'll keep them in mind for future revisions.

I followed Earle to your web page and description of who you are. I'm really keen to hear your music. I think I'll put an order in for your new live album. By the way, has it been Harbalized by any chance? Just curious.

Thanks,

Paavo.
yuriblus

Post by yuriblus »

Paavo,

The album you ordered (Born to Play, part 1) has been released in November 2004.
I've purchased Har-Bal 5 days ago, so I didn't have a chance :-)

Actually, I learned about it only 3 weeks ago - few people on Samplitude forum mentioned it as a tremendous timesaver. I tried and I agree.

I'm currently working on the "Born to Play, part 2", which of course is going to be Harbalized.
As for part 1 - I'm considering to Harbalize my 32 bit -88.2 KHz masters for next re-release.

Thanks for the order and for your your attention to my art.

Yuri
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

No Problem. I'm eagerly awaiting for the CD to arrive so I can listen to your art!

Paavo.