EQing hip hop with harbal

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
keith chegwin

EQing hip hop with harbal

Post by keith chegwin »

:?

When I tested mastering the EQ of hip hop in harbal I found that there was not enough bass, especially subbass. ( I tried using rap and rhythm and blues filters)

Does anyone have any advice when using harbal with hip hop? Does anyone have a filter that they use specializes in sub bass?

Thanks
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

Har-Bal isn't going to create sub-bass frequencies if they don't already exist in your mix.

You'd be better off using a plug-in to create a sub octave in your kick or bass (synth?) during the mix process. Then, after you ACTUALLY have these lower frequencies in your mix, use Har-Bal to 'control' them.
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

If you are using sequenced parts - bass and kick - you could double these with a low-pitch for your sub-kick and an octave lower to follow your bass line. Just use a sine tone from one of your synths. Beethoven used this doubling technique with 'cellos and basses.

Just be careful of not adding too much. You might be just fine with adding to your kick. This way you can 'dial-up' any frequency.