Still use a harmonic exicter with Har-Bal?

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
samplesize

Still use a harmonic exicter with Har-Bal?

Post by samplesize »

Hi there,

I just purchased Har-Bal and am looking forward to re-EQing some of my tracks.

Here's my question, though. In the past, I have used BBE Sonic Maximizer (harmonic exciter) when mastering. Do you think that Har-Bal replaces that, or do you still use it?

If you do still use it, where do you put it in the mastering process?

Thanks!

Samplesize
Hear my music at www.jordanyaruss.com
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Still use a harmonic exicter with Har-Bal?

Post by har-bal »

samplesize wrote:Hi there,

I just purchased Har-Bal and am looking forward to re-EQing some of my tracks.

Here's my question, though. In the past, I have used BBE Sonic Maximizer (harmonic exciter) when mastering. Do you think that Har-Bal replaces that, or do you still use it?

If you do still use it, where do you put it in the mastering process?

Thanks!

Samplesize
Samplesize

It is not really necessary to use a Sonic Maximizer with Har-Bal. If you absolutely must then you should possibly use it before Har-Bal because there can be quite a bit of frequency boosts using BBE and you want to make sure you catch it before further processing of your track.
There is nothing wrong with giving your track punch. You just want to make sure the track remains balanced so it can sound good on everything.

Cheers

Earle