Text Fly-Overs

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
tcatzere

Text Fly-Overs

Post by tcatzere »

Just wondering if there is any way to disable the text flyovers for the toolbar buttons, track position slider, vol/gain controls, etc.?
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

No there isn't, but I can add it easily enough. I'll put it on the feature list for next release.

Thanks,

Paavo.
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

Thanks, Paavo, that would be great.
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

Paavo,

You know, I just realized that my initial request to be able to disable the text flyovers my not have been totally accurate -- however, that function might still be useful. The reason for the request in the first place was that it seems as if the flyovers are frequently popping up in random locations -- right where I need to "click" on a button. In other words -- they get in the way. At present, they don't seem to be predictably stable. Is there any way you can control their positioning better (so they're always out of the way) -- or am I the only one who's been experiencing this problem?

Tom
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Tom,

I know what you mean. I've had the problem myself. After the port to wxWidgets it may no longer be an issue so I may not actually do any thing about it since the porting process is likely to fix it. If it is really bothering you though, I'd consider doing a special build just for you as a one off interim measure.

Regards,

Paavo.
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

Hi Paavo,

I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem. It just gets a little annoying when you use the program a lot (which I do). A special build is certainly not necessary. However, just out of curiousity, when do you expect the port to wxWidgets to be done?

Tom
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

How about putting the text down in a status bar at the bottom of the application or something along those lines?
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Dan,

Actually, it already is in the status line. There's a short version of the tip as a pop up and a more complete one displayed on the popup. To do what you and Tom ask would just require a switch to disable the tooltip popup (minimalist fix).

Thanks,

Paavo.
Jay

Post by Jay »

HarBal wrote:Hi Tom,

I know what you mean. I've had the problem myself. After the port to wxWidgets it may no longer be an issue so I may not actually do any thing about it since the porting process is likely to fix it. If it is really bothering you though, I'd consider doing a special build just for you as a one off interim measure.

Regards,

Paavo.
This issue has bothered me for a while (I've commented about before, Paavo). Really, the only troublesome part is the position slider. Hopefully, wxWidgets will solve it, like you say. Something I'd been thinking about for a while is that another solution would be to change what area responds to the tooltip. Right now, it's fairly low (considering where the actual slider is in relation to the area that responds to the tooltip). If it were higher, i.e., closer to the bottom of the slider, it wouldn't be a problem. What often happens is it responds when you mouse up to the slider, which, of course, is almost always done from below the slider, hence the problem with the tip obscuring the slider. Well, this is getting a bit verbose... I'm sure you know what I mean. Regardless of what avenue you take, Paavo, I'd love to see this changed.

Still loving Har-Bal despite that, though. :)

Thanks,
Jay
Jay

Post by Jay »

On a related note, it'd be great to have the slider be a bit wider, too. It's rather thin and requires a bit too much fine motor skill (for those of us whose cursor speed is fast) to click right on it. About double the width would be nice.

Jay