Hit Song Science

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
Motion

Hit Song Science

Post by Motion »

Hi everyone...so what do you make of this folks...I wonder if they have a few Har Bals in their arsenal? he! he!..perhaps they have developed some super secret analysis tool that examines form,timing,musicality etc amongst other elements of a tune?....A magic recipe? Go here for a look
www.hitsongscience.com/
Har/Bal

Hit Song Science?

Post by Har/Bal »

If it's what I think it is then it's based on a neural net AI application that takes a song and analyses it's musical (rather than purely spectral) content and rates it on a scale of 1 to 10 for public appeal. As far as I can tell it quality of the recording has little to do with the score it gives.

The AI engine has been trained on hit songs over the past 10 years or so. Certainly scientifically interesting but not my cup of tea. Obviously it would seem that software like this is only going to rate a song for saleability if there has been something similar in it's trained history that sold well, whether that is similarity confined to a particular track or a fushion of a number of tracks. The upshot is, if your track isn't similar to something successful in the past then it's not likely to rate well. That's fine if all you want to do is make music to make money, but if music means more to you than that then I don't think I'd want to use it.

The problem with any system, whether in AI systems or Industry executives, that make decisions on merit based on past histories is that it will tend to styfle growth and exploration into new and unchartered areas.

Certainly much of the musical output of the last 10 years is a dissapointment to me because it sounds so similar to something before it and it says nothing new. In fact so much out there is so deliberately "designed" to sell that it lacks any appeal whatsover to my mind.

May struggling artists continue the struggle as they surely are the few worth listening to.

Paavo.
Motion

Hit Song Science

Post by Motion »

I whole heartedly agree and thanks for the explanation as to what might be going on...me personally...I like nothing better than sitting down with my RS Modular...it can be hard work...but there are moments when you obtain sounds that are probably quite unique and so unusal to the ear that I can only best describe these magical moments from a quote that I once read as "audio shakespeare"once these are woven in to my mixes ...the music has its own identity and often takes you in its own direction etc....and it dosen't always particularly adhere to any stylistic formats,shapes or timings....to a certain degree you intervene and impose your will if you need to exercise more or less control and even then that can have its limitations...I guess that's the individual creative ebb and flow to a certain degree amongst many other details and choices that you may have when you are engaged and absorbed in the process...somethings in music just have a life of their own....I'm sure many people will no doubt use it though.
zumbido

rip off

Post by zumbido »

If you follow their 'logic' and, of course, EVERY song EVER created, from this point on, was first 'analyzed' and 'scored' by their science, there would eventually only be one 'hit' song.

This is a scam.
Har/Bal

rip-off

Post by Har/Bal »

I wouldn't go as far as saying this is a scam. I believe their product basically works as they claim it does, analyzing the "hit factor" of a particular track.

But the problem as I see it is that it will not, in general pick up on innovation in music. I liken it to my own experience and possibly the experience of many others. You purchase a new CD and listen to it and think that was OK but nothing special. Then after a while and many listens your opinion completely changes to, wow, that CD is incredible! This is the sort of thing that this software is not likely to pick up on and it is this innovative side of music that is important to me.

For those who's prime motive in music is to "make money" by creating "pop songs" I'm sure it will be helpful. I just don't think it is going to progress the industry musically at all.

Paavo.
dbmasters1

if it works for them, it works for me...

Post by dbmasters1 »

Hey, God Bless Capitalism...If they can get $50 a pop from someone to run their songs thru their "hit-o-matic" I say rock on...but I can promise they are not gonna get my $50.
RodneyR

Re: if it works for them, it works for me...

Post by RodneyR »

Hey, God Bless Capitalism..
Better be careful,db . Judging from the words attributed to Christ in the new testament, the only god of capitalism is mammon. You could get in trouble if there are any real Christians about

I obviously have too much time on my hands today . I'll just blame it on this darn flu. They won't be getting my money either. Bet that program would not have liked early Jefferson Airplane.