tonal balancing

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
william g

tonal balancing

Post by william g »

Dear Paavo
Another thing, I am building a system which is 64 bits, and will have a windows 64 bit. I was just wondering is Harbal, up for taking 64 bits??????

And the tonal balancing, I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing in tonal balancing, for example
1. Does the EQ filter go in of the source and reference filter in
2. Overlaying the EQ filter on top of the reference, with EQ in
3. What happens to the stereo panning when you do tonal balancing in Harbal.

And if you have any easy step notes on Harbal, how to do the tonal balancing for an album. that would be lovely thank you
william
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: tonal balancing

Post by har-bal »

william g wrote:Dear Paavo
Another thing, I am building a system which is 64 bits, and will have a windows 64 bit. I was just wondering is Harbal, up for taking 64 bits??????

And the tonal balancing, I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing in tonal balancing, for example
1. Does the EQ filter go in of the source and reference filter in
2. Overlaying the EQ filter on top of the reference, with EQ in
3. What happens to the stereo panning when you do tonal balancing in Harbal.

And if you have any easy step notes on Harbal, how to do the tonal balancing for an album. that would be lovely thank you
william
William

The stereo panning is not affected while sculpting the spectrum in Har-Bal.

I believe you will find your answer here concerning the steps regarding use. Follow this closely and you won't have a problem.

http://www.har-bal.com/ipw-web/bulletin ... m.php?f=26

Cheers

Earle
mflorio

Post by mflorio »

>> The stereo panning is not affected while sculpting the spectrum in Har-Bal.

Actually, a properly-balanced spectrum will "sound" like the stereo field is more well-defined, and wider - at least that has been my experience with HB. This is purely a psycho-acoustic result, because as Earle wrote, HB does not do any processing to manipulate the stereo field at all.

Mike
Mister

Post by Mister »

If I may add my two cents - I'm in total agreement regarding the soundstage of a properly EQ'ed track. It's also been my frequent (& pleasant) experience when using Har-Bal, that properly applying what's needed, EQ-wise, does open up the soudstage. This really helps give a track fullness, body & depth, so much so that you rely less on extra, or more extreme, processing towards the rest of the mastering chain. Which is what Earle has been telling us all along!
har-bal
Site Admin

Thank You!!

Post by har-bal »

Thanks Guys

Can someone please explain this to the Non-Har-Bal users in this world who misunderstand the real value of this tool.

Sometimes less is best when mastering. We have a whole lot of folks in the world that believe Har-Bal is simply a basic eq matching tool and we are really trying to get the word out that it is much more than that.

Cheers

Earle