Volume

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
william g

Volume

Post by william g »

Dear Earle
Thanks for the feedback, I like the way you explain, and really looking forward to your book.
At the moment I am getting a system together, and I have developed a concept, using all the knowledge of great mastering engineers and their tools. I call it "filter is rising"[quote
I will be demonstrating it to the Ministry of Sound.
I was really looking forward to your point of view, with my golden question. Which ones sounds good to you.
1.) Render OR

2.)computer/mixing desk/ computer OR

3.)Computer/mixing desk/hard disk recorder

I'm not a pro as yet but if you have any strong point of view on the above, i would be privaliged to know
I found your e-mail very interesting, this is when you said "when you are attempting to make a song louder you need to take a look at the peak to average ratio of the track"
I was wondering ??? How do you look at the peak to the average ratio of the track????

Now this is the exciting part for me of what you said,
1. You use compressor to increase volume
2. Limiter to prevent clipping
I am actually willing to pay for your time, if you can actually do what you are saying.
3. use same as above 1 and 2,
4. We are going for-9Db volume without the noise in the pause
5. Digital ceiling 0Db
At the moment, this is the future of commercial songs -9Db volume, and 0Db ceiling
If you can do 4. and 5. That guarantees you, to be the greatest author of all time. The reason I know this I have read them all.
I think you will be able to do it, I am excited, coz I like the impossible
bye for now
thank you
william
har-bal
Site Admin

Peak to Average Ratio

Post by har-bal »

William

I want you to do me a favor and look up "Peak to Average Ratio" and then explain to me in your own words what you think it is. There is a reason I am asking you to do this.

I want it to click in your mind so you have a total understanding and then we can move you forward with techniques.

Cheers

Earle
janpetter

Post by janpetter »

Here is an interesting read on the subject of " Peak to Average Ratio"
http://sound.westhost.com/compression.htm#par
All the best
jan
william g

Post by william g »

Hi Earle

the peaks to average ratio, I think that you can SEE it, what i'm concerned is What happens next????

How do you go for the volume using a compressor???
i would really love to know. how do you do the same thing
thanks william
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Well, from a naive perspective, if your peak to average ratio is 20dB and your aiming for a more commercial but still dynamic figure of 14dB then you'll need a compression ratio of 20/14 = 1.4:1. On the other hand, with only 6dB drop in peak to average ratio you'd probably get better results by simply dialing up 6 dB on a hard limiter.

Regards,

Paavo.