I was skeptical....but I may be sold.

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
boardjockey

I was skeptical....but I may be sold.

Post by boardjockey »

First of all, I am the owner/mastering engineer at RiverWalk Multimedia in Memphis,TN. I currently have an album in the Top 50..which I am proud of. I had read the forum and my inital reaction was "ears...not eyes. My opinion was that all the technical crap meant nothing to me...but, I gotta say... I used, the demo version.... mind you... and I am quite pleased. Quicker, easier.... but please.....don't lose sight.... or sound as it may.
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: I was skeptical....but I may be sold.

Post by har-bal »

boardjockey wrote:First of all, I am the owner/mastering engineer at RiverWalk Multimedia in Memphis,TN. I currently have an album in the Top 50..which I am proud of. I had read the forum and my inital reaction was "ears...not eyes. My opinion was that all the technical crap meant nothing to me...but, I gotta say... I used, the demo version.... mind you... and I am quite pleased. Quicker, easier.... but please.....don't lose sight.... or sound as it may.
Boardjockey

You are exactly correct. Using yours ears is quite important in the mastering process. The great thing about Har-Bal is that it makes it much easier for those folks who have rooms that may not be tuned correctly. Har-Bal is great at placing you in the ballpark and making your sound uniform on multiple systems.

Cheers

Earle
phil

Post by phil »

My general take on using Harbal is that the further you use it to smooth out the frequency response, the subjectively louder, sweeter and more refined the result becomes. However in the process you progressively lose the character of the original. If the character is something you want to retain then tread lightly with Harbal. Otherwise give go pedal-to-the-metal.

Philip