Newbie gain cursor question

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
Susan G

Newbie gain cursor question

Post by Susan G »

Hi-

I must have a basic misunderstanding of how to adjust peaks and dips using the gain cursor. I click on a point and drag, but portions to the left and right of the point I've selected begin to move almost immediately as well. If I continue to drag, the whole spectrum eventually goes along. There's obviously some concept I'm missing here! (Yes, I've gone through the Tutorial several times!<g>)

I'm not changing the Q factor, and the same thing happens whether I hold Shift key down or not anyway.

I'm sure this is the way it's supposed to work, but I just can't get a handle on it. Say I want to fix a dip at 3k and I drag up from there -- why are the surrounding frequencies affected?

Is the trick just to make the adjustments in tiny increments? That seems to be the only way to avoid what I'm talking about. Otherwise, I fix one problem, then when I fix another the first is off again.

I hope this is clear.

Any help most appreciated-

-Susan
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Susan,

Your solution (way of handling this) is the correct way. To control only one narrow spot with a high degree of boost or cut requires a very high Q filter. The Q adjustment in HarBal is limited to a range from about 15 to something very small. This was a deliberate design choice to encourage the use of low Q changes, although I do agree that at times a hi Q change is required.

Regards,

Paavo.
Susan G

Post by Susan G »

Ok, thanks much Paavo!

-Susan