Latency on EQ Process

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
mtech

Latency on EQ Process

Post by mtech »

Hi Guys

Do the ASIO drivers in version 1.5 improve the latency time from when you apply a change to when you hear it's effect?, and also when you hit the EQ in and Out button there is a definite Glitch sound and it takes a second or two to hear the difference. Similar latency with Gain amount.

Just for the record my setup is

P4 - 3.2ghz 1Gb DDR400 Ram
320Gb Audio Raid 0 drives (2 x 160 SATA Seagates)
40gb Boot and 60 Gb Backup drives (ATA)
RME 96/8 PRO Audio interface

mtech
har-bal
Site Admin

Latency on EQ Process

Post by har-bal »

Latency is significantly improved between 1.02 and 1.5 and the glitch is gone too. The latency between the EQ In/out and gain changes are exactly the same and are principally determined by the buffer sizes used by the HarBal filter. Though ASIO provides improvement and added flexibility it is unlikely that you'll note much difference between that and DirectX drivers for example.

Certainly we could reduce the latency even further by restructuring the filtering engine to use smaller buffers at the expense of increased overall CPU usage. This is something we shall look at for future revisions though not something high on our list of priorities.

Regards,

Paavo.

PS - Version 1.5 is not out other than in beta at the moment. I thought I'd got the ASIO bugs down pat but it seems there's still a problem so a couple of weeks further delay is likely.
zumbido

delay?

Post by zumbido »

"... it takes a second or two to hear the difference. Similar latency with Gain amount."

So What!

I SERIOUSLY doubt that it is a two second delay. Probably more like 200 milliseconds.

All that matters is that you are hearing a difference - an improved difference at that.
mflorio

re: "So What ?"

Post by mflorio »

Well, that delay for me was at least 2 seconds on v1.02 and it was very annoying. I was so happy with this being eliminated in the 1.5 beta. Unfortunately I had to stop using it because there were too many bugs - so it's back to those 1.02 delays for me until the new version.