Har-Bal Problem-Help!

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
LoTekRoolz

Har-Bal Problem-Help!

Post by LoTekRoolz »

Hi Folks,

I would first like to say that I have been a Har-bal user since about Aug. of 2004 and I think your product is Fabulous.

I am writing because I am presently experiencing the very 1st problem ever encountered using the program, and, frankly I can't get a handle on it.

My System:

MSI K7N2 Delta NVidia nForce 2 chipset
AMD Ahtlon XP2600+ processor
512 Mb ram
Dual Boot 98se(Fat)/XP Home(NTFS)
(98 can't see the XP partition, computer never sees the internet except to authorize XP)
2 80gig IDE drives (7200)
Layla 24 audio interface (latest drivers-6.08, 6.11beta)
Terratec EWS 88D audio interface (latest drivers)
Sonar 3 Producer
Reason 3
WaveLab 4
Har-Bal 1.51r2 on both OSes

I am having a problem with the filter in Har-Bal on my XP Partition.
The problem does not occur on the win98se partition.

Any song I load plays fine as long as the eq is disabled.
As soon as I enable the eq the song begins to slow and distort, similar to a latency issue, except that there also seems to be a delay occuring which happens to be in meter with the song.

I have tried using different audio, resolutions and bit-rates
I have reinstalled the Layla 24 with both drivers listed above with the same problem occuring when I enable the eq.
I have reinstalled Harbal. I have checked the libsndfile modification date on both partitions and found them to be the same. No Luck.

...and here's the rub;

I have tried playing the audio in other programs and have not been able to duplicate the issue.
I have tried using Har-Bal with the Terratec card, and it works fine, eq in or out.

I am Baffled.

I am writing the forum in the hope that someone else has run across this, and it's minor or I'm missing something.

Any help would be Really appreciated, as I have some folks waiting out of state for some finished work.

Regards,
LoTek
"Walk softly in the presence of cheetahs...you are tasty with hot sauce."
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

So am I understanding you correctly. It doesn't play back properly when using the Layla 24 but it does using the Terratec? Does the HarBal mis-behave with the Layla 24 using DirectX drivers as well as ASIO? I recall one user having problems with HarBal when hyper threading was enabled on the machine. I don't know if that will make any difference on your case though. Sorry that I can't be more useful to you at this stage.

Regards,

Paavo.
LoTekRoolz

Post by LoTekRoolz »

I didn't try it with directx, but it did work with multimedia.
I don't have hyperthreding enabled.
you are correct...It does point toward my layla considering harbal works with my terratec card. I just hate not being able to solve this. thanks for the prompt reply.

Regards,
LoTek
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Well if it works with the multimedia driver then there is some incompatibility with HarBal and your ASIO driver. It may be bug related and it may be on either side, HarBal or the driver. These things are difficult to isolate without reproducing the problem and unfortunately I don't have that hardware to test on so there is little I can do at this stage.

Regards,

Paavo.
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

LoTekRoolz wrote:I didn't try it with directx, but it did work with multimedia.
I don't have hyperthreding enabled.
you are correct...It does point toward my layla considering harbal works with my terratec card. I just hate not being able to solve this. thanks for the prompt reply.

Regards,
LoTek
LoTekRoolz

Try this site http://www.asio4all.com/
additionally check to see if there is a more recent version of your ASIO driver.

Cheers

Earle
LoTekRoolz

Post by LoTekRoolz »

Thanks for the help...I have the asio4all drivers already, just wasn't using them. I guess it didn't occur to me that a 3rd party asio driver could be better than the native one. Anyway I solved the problem. I think there was a corrupt driver file that the uninstaller wasn't getting off. So after a risky bit of registry cleaning in XP I reinstalled the driver from Echo and Har-Bal works fine.

Regards,
LoTek