Jerky audio when EQ button pressed

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
AntonyR

Jerky audio when EQ button pressed

Post by AntonyR »

Hi

I went to use Harbal today like any other day after mixing a track and when the EQ button in harbal is pressed the audio is jerky and clicky (is the best way I can describe it). And this is without any changes being made to the frequency. Without the EQ button pressed the audio sounds normal.

I tried a couple of previous harballed files that have been mastered and the same happens to these so I know it is not the audio file.

I have no other applications running and have rebooted my PC and also re-entered my software key (tried this just incase the was a feature for an invalid key or something) but it still does not work. I am using Harbal 1.51.

Have you come across this before and know what causes it?

Thanks

Antony
Antony Richards

My Music: http://www.artistlaunch.com/AntonyRichards

Cubase SX v3.1 - Halion 3.1 - VG (Electric)
Waves Platinum - RMIV - Autotune 3 - HarBal - Jamstix - dfhSuperior - NI Guitar Rig - Trilogy
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Jerky audio when EQ button pressed

Post by har-bal »

AntonyR wrote:Hi

I went to use Harbal today like any other day after mixing a track and when the EQ button in harbal is pressed the audio is jerky and clicky (is the best way I can describe it). And this is without any changes being made to the frequency. Without the EQ button pressed the audio sounds normal.

I tried a couple of previous harballed files that have been mastered and the same happens to these so I know it is not the audio file.

I have no other applications running and have rebooted my PC and also re-entered my software key (tried this just incase the was a feature for an invalid key or something) but it still does not work. I am using Harbal 1.51.

Have you come across this before and know what causes it?

Thanks

Antony
AntonyR

It sounds like you need to raise the buffers on your ASIO soundcard. If they are currently at 512 raise them to 784. You should have a control panel for your soundcard to make these changes.

Or

Try deleting the HarBal.ini file when Harbal is closed and then re-running it. You'll then need to re initialise the driver settings in Harbal. Make sure you have the latest sound drivers on your machine for your soundcard.

Also, have you added any major software to your machine lately that is utilizing massive CPU resources?

Cheers

Earle
AntonyR

Post by AntonyR »

Earle, thanks for the quick response. My ASIO buffers were down 192 to give me 4ms latency when I was using Cubase. I pushed it right up and it cleared the problem. However, I then put it back down again just to see if caused the problem again, as I am sure that I have had this latency setting in the past and it still worked ok. I had rebooted my pc a second time since my email, which was a hard reboot - ie shutdown and turn on again at the power, because Cubase hung, so there may have been something dodgy going on in the sound card.

Thanks for your advice, I will ensure I do a hard reboot and check ASIO settings if it happens again.

Thanks again

Antony
Antony Richards

My Music: http://www.artistlaunch.com/AntonyRichards

Cubase SX v3.1 - Halion 3.1 - VG (Electric)
Waves Platinum - RMIV - Autotune 3 - HarBal - Jamstix - dfhSuperior - NI Guitar Rig - Trilogy
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

AntonyR wrote:Earle, thanks for the quick response. My ASIO buffers were down 192 to give me 4ms latency when I was using Cubase. I pushed it right up and it cleared the problem. However, I then put it back down again just to see if caused the problem again, as I am sure that I have had this latency setting in the past and it still worked ok. I had rebooted my pc a second time since my email, which was a hard reboot - ie shutdown and turn on again at the power, because Cubase hung, so there may have been something dodgy going on in the sound card.

Thanks for your advice, I will ensure I do a hard reboot and check ASIO settings if it happens again.

Thanks again

Antony
AntonyR

No problem. Here is something I use at http://www.asio4all.com

After you install it an icon named ASIO4ALL control Panel will be placed on your desktop that allows you to configure all of your soundcard settings.

Cheers

EArle