Poor metal mix to a great sounding master!!!

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!

Poor metal mix to a great sounding master!!!

Post by Guest »

For anyone having doubts whether or not Har Bal is capable of being used successfully on Metal genres, click the link and download the " Before and After" clip.

A short metal style demo with the mastering processing punched in and out every so often.
Hope you enjoy guys...I'm over the moon with HarBal!!!
Cheers,
Ged Leitch.

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0RY8 ... K7OOZD9YV8
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Poor metal mix to a great sounding master!!!

Post by har-bal »

Anonymous wrote:For anyone having doubts whether or not Har Bal is capable of being used successfully on Metal genres, click the link and download the " Before and After" clip.

A short metal style demo with the mastering processing punched in and out every so often.
Hope you enjoy guys...I'm over the moon with HarBal!!!
Cheers,
Ged Leitch.

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0RY8 ... K7OOZD9YV8
Ged

The difference was freakin unreal! It was as though the music came to life. You did a great job on that track?

I hope otheres hear it.

Cheers

Earle
Jonny Mumra

Post by Jonny Mumra »

WoW i heard it.
Sounds awesome.
Ged Leitch

Post by Ged Leitch »

Cheers Earle and Jonny, yeh it is a big difference, I could'nt actually realize how poor the mix was till I rendered the "before and after" clip.The reason the mix was lacking was due to me mixing on my old monitors which were bass heavy, which ended with me mixing it bass light and took all the warmth out of it.
This lack of bass did'nt show itself till I got my new KEF reference monitors which were far more accurate.
Earle, I basically read and read deep into your advice regarding the frequncy balancing and used a Metallica track as a reference, BUT - did not simply create a metallica filter and stick it on my mix as they are mixed too differently to have any success.
So I basically fine tuned my mix eq on Har while looking at the Metallica refernce eq and hand drew the corrections needed, so I roughly would approximate a similar balance of bass mids and treble to the Metallica track.Worked really well after a few tries.
Then all that was needed was some broadband shelving work then very little multiband compression then some limiting (though not much) to raise the averag level.
Could have used the new voxengo marquis compressor (wideband) on it but needed multiband due to the low end energy of the muted guitars.
Thanks again guys for your invaluable input!!!
Cheers,
Ged.