Regarding commercial curves...

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
Ged Leitch

Regarding commercial curves...

Post by Ged Leitch »

Hi Earle, I was wondering I'm soon gonna be mastering an engineer mates album, their stuff is quite " Out there" they are mainly acoustic and vox but use a few samples of spoken word here and there.
Problem is, I've already done a quick version to "test the water" so to speak and was wondering what the best way to "balance" the curve would be???
I cant really think of any similar bands/Artists that sound the same.
Do you ever run into this problem? I realise it's a case of trial and error regarding the balance sometimes Cause I want to really keep the integrity of the mix y'know?
Cheers,
Ged Leitch.
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Regarding commercial curves...

Post by har-bal »

Ged Leitch wrote:Hi Earle, I was wondering I'm soon gonna be mastering an engineer mates album, their stuff is quite " Out there" they are mainly acoustic and vox but use a few samples of spoken word here and there.
Problem is, I've already done a quick version to "test the water" so to speak and was wondering what the best way to "balance" the curve would be???
Do you ever run into this problem? I realise it's a case of trial and error regarding the balance sometimes Cause I want to really keep the integrity of the mix y'know?
Cheers,
Ged Leitch.
Ged

It is really not necessary to use reference files if you already have the song somewhat sounding the way you want it to.

Just look at the overall spectrum and fine tune by bringing down any peaks that appear go be abnormally high.
Don't worry about the peaks to the right of the 5khz mark.

Look at the low end of the spectrum and make sure you low shelf at approximately 45hz. Also look for any holes in the spectrum fill them in. Filling them in prevents the track from sounding thin.
The idea is to preserve the integrity of the track, yet balance the relationship of the frequencies.

The great thing about version 2.0 is that you can manually sculpt the spectrum and when you are satisfied you can simply press the intuitQ button and it will balance the spectral content of the music.

One thing that has challenged folks for so long is no longer a challenge.
You can check the spectral balance against a real time analyzer.

The new algorithm is absolutely brilliant

Cheers

Earle
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Regarding commercial curves...

Post by har-bal »

Ged Leitch wrote:Hi Earle, I was wondering I'm soon gonna be mastering an engineer mates album, their stuff is quite " Out there" they are mainly acoustic and vox but use a few samples of spoken word here and there.
Cheers,
Ged Leitch.
Ged

It is really not necessary to use reference files if you already have the song somewhat sounding the way you want it to.

Just look at the overall spectrum and fine tune by bringing down any peaks that appear go be abnormally high.
Don't worry about the peaks to the right of the 5khz mark.

Look at the low end of the spectrum and make sure you low shelf at approximately 45hz. Also look for any holes in the spectrum fill them in. Filling them in prevents the track from sounding thin.
The idea is to preserve the integrity of the track, yet balance the relationship of the frequencies.

The great thing about version 2.0 is that you can manually sculpt the spectrum and when you are satisfied you can simply press the intuitQ button and it will balance the spectral content of the music.

One thing that has challenged folks for so long is no longer a challenge.
You can check the spectral balance against a real time analyzer.

The new algorithm is absolutely brilliant

Cheers

Earle