What about loudness?

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Alt 3-4

What about loudness?

Post by Alt 3-4 »

Thank you for Har bal 20, it sounds great but what about the matchloudness function? Now, evreytime I upload a file into Harbal, the matchloudness line stays grayed and I can't use it. What am I doing wrong?
Stay roots!
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: What about loudness?

Post by har-bal »

Alt 3-4 wrote:Thank you for Har bal 20, it sounds great but what about the matchloudness function? Now, evreytime I upload a file into Harbal, the matchloudness line stays grayed and I can't use it. What am I doing wrong?
You have to load a reference file for it the match loudness function to work, otherwise it isn't matching the loudness to anything.

1. Load a commercial track into Har-Bal
2. Now click on File/Close
3. The same directory you loaded the file from creates a .anl reference file you can use to match loudness. (You should place this in your REF folder in the Har-Bal folder if you want)
4. Open Har-Bal and load YOUR track and then click on the "open a reference" icon
5. Browse to the location of the .anl file using the button on the right of the " source file" window and click ok
6. You should see the ref file in the background
7. Now you can use the match loudness function by clicking on Equalizer/Match Loudness

I have a variety of .anl files I use to match loudness.

I have placed them in my ref folder and renamed them -10db, -13db and -17db. I use them based on the genre I am working with.

Don't forget to load the new limiter patch from here:
http://www.har-bal.com/ipw-web/bulletin ... .php?t=555

Cheers

Earle
Last edited by har-bal on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: re:loudness

Post by har-bal »

wired wrote:Ok, so i followed the above steps, now i have MY wav file in there along with the ref file, but when i activate match loudness , the tick on the match loudness under the equalizer file menu isn't on.
Hey Wired

Tell me step by step exactly what you are doing.

Start from the beginning and lets see what is happening.
I changed the steps above to make it more clearer.

Try it again.

Earle