Filter file not loading???

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Ged Leitch

Filter file not loading???

Post by Ged Leitch »

Hi Earle & Paavo,
i'm doing a quick test on a mix right now and I'm having trouble with the filter file function.

I load my reference into harbal...
I save it as an eq filter file, i then load my mix, and open the ref filter file.
then...nothing happens, it says at the top right hand corner the filter name but there are no changes to the eq of my mix.

A little puzzled, please help!!!
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Ged,

A reference is just a reference and no more than that. If all you've been doing is loading a reference and then saving the filter, the filter you save will just be all pass flat frequency response (unless you've made edits to the filter). No changes to the mix occur by loading a reference. The changes are up to you.

regards,

Paavo.
Ged Leitch

Post by Ged Leitch »

HarBal wrote:Hi Ged,

A reference is just a reference and no more than that. If all you've been doing is loading a reference and then saving the filter, the filter you save will just be all pass flat frequency response (unless you've made edits to the filter). No changes to the mix occur by loading a reference. The changes are up to you.

regards,

Paavo.
yeh, oops just figured it out after posting that above, my mistake.
Paavo, did you rework the eq algo's? they sound alot smoother than 1.5?
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Essentially no. The only difference in EQ between 1.5 and 2.0 is the filter now has extra headroom to allow you to push it into limiting. I suspect that people think it sounds smoother because intuitQ is helping them design between filters. To be honest, I've noticed the same thing but I know I didn't actually change any filter code and I know I've been using intuitQ.

How about thrying this: take the smooth souding track your working on and save the filter to a version 1.5 compatible filter file, then load it up in 1.51 and see how it sounds. Provided your not using air and provided your not pushing it into clipping it should sound the same (theoretically).

Cheers,

Paavo.