Recent good reference tracks

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
magellan2003

Recent good reference tracks

Post by magellan2003 »

Greetings. I was reading an earlier thread regarding reference tracks, and it was mentioned to 'listen to some new and fresh, well mastered music'. I looked at my list of the rock music reference tracks I like and use, and realized only one was released in the last few years -most of them are from the 70s to early 90s! With the push for louder tracks, I really have not heard many well mastered (imho) CDs of late, but I'm sure there are some...any recommendations?

Thanks,
WCH
mflorio

mastering jobs

Post by mflorio »

Personally, I've noticed most of my favorite sounding cd's were all pressed in the early 90's !

Check out this link for an interesting article:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.n ... 2E005DAF1C
magellan2003

recent songs

Post by magellan2003 »

great article - thanks! so...you have not heard anything you like in recent years?

WCH
Har/Bal

Reference Tracks

Post by Har/Bal »

You are correct, most of the music recorded currently appears to be non-dynamic. The peaks are squashed terribly as a comprimise to make the music louder which is completely unecessary.
When you view the music from the late 80's and early 90's you will notice consistency when viewing the spectrum. It is a perfect guide to show you how a great sounding song should appear.
There are a number of mastering engineers out there that have been trying to educate the public by telling them that louder is not better.
By studying these spectrums you can easily look at your own songs and make corrections easily.
I constantly study the spectrums of commercial music and am amazed at what they let out of the studios.
When you harmonically balance your music it sounds great and people know it. The average consumer out there may not be able to tell you in technical terms why they like it, only that it feels good listening to it.
It's all in the EQ'ing!!

Cheers

Earle
Lee Knight

great reference

Post by Lee Knight »

Stacy's Mom by Fountains of Wayne
michaelrhoden

Reference File

Post by michaelrhoden »

I have found that picking individual performances, such as acoustic piano, guitar and vocals etc. from different CD's to suit your own instrumentaton, is quite effective. All you have to do is mix them relative to each other in volume. It sound like cachophony, but hear through it and you can tailor the reference mix to your needs.
Dr. Robert

Post by Dr. Robert »

I recently listened to and analyzed a Supertramp Greatest Hits compilation. I consider Supertramp's recordings to be among the best EQ'ed I've heard so far.

Very steep roll-off in the bass at about 50 Hz, probably for better sounding vinyl.
One could possibly have a gentler roll off whith CDs.