New process with limiter in 2.0...

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
amg731

New process with limiter in 2.0...

Post by amg731 »

First as always, thanks for one of the most beneficial tools in my gear box. Now, with the advent of the new limiter and air function in 2.0 I'm re-evaluating my process. Your input is always highly welcomed.

Here we go:
1. After mixing down, I bring the track into Har-Bal to 'Har-Balize' it. No limiting at this phase.
2. Now into Wavelab for any EQ(mainly corrective if needed), compression, specific tone shaping, etc. Now I would usally limit at this phase at the very end of the chain.

My question is, should I bring the track back into Har-Bal for limiting, air and level matching, or still limit in Wavelab then pop back into Har-Bal for air and level matching.

Naturally going after the maximum level without the over exaggerated 'Suish' of the signal.

Thanks
LRG
LeRoy Gibbs II
NU-Level Records LLC
"A Key to Your SUCCESS"
lgibbs@nulevelrecords.com
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: New process with limiter in 2.0...

Post by har-bal »

amg731 wrote:First as always, thanks for one of the most beneficial tools in my gear box. Now, with the advent of the new limiter and air function in 2.0 I'm re-evaluating my process. Your input is always highly welcomed.

Here we go:
1. After mixing down, I bring the track into Har-Bal to 'Har-Balize' it. No limiting at this phase.
2. Now into Wavelab for any EQ(mainly corrective if needed), compression, specific tone shaping, etc. Now I would usally limit at this phase at the very end of the chain.

My question is, should I bring the track back into Har-Bal for limiting, air and level matching, or still limit in Wavelab then pop back into Har-Bal for air and level matching.

Naturally going after the maximum level without the over exaggerated 'Suish' of the signal.

Thanks
LRG
Leroy

Here is what I do most of the time.

1. Open the newly mixed down track in Har-Bal use the low shelve to shave of everything below 45hz and then press the intuitQ button

2. Press the record button to create the new-eq.wav file

3. Bring it into Wavelab for surgical EQ (usually not necessary depending on the mix)Compression

4. Bring the track back into Har-Bal for final limiting and a bit of air because I use a reference file for loudness matching (based on the genre)and it maintains volume consistency through the entire album. (I rename the song to the song title after I press the record button)

The limiter in Har-Bal is very good so I am done at this point

Previously I would only use Har-Bal for balancing the spectral content and finish it off in Wavelab or some other sound editing program.

If a song does not need compression, then the only tool I use is Har-Bal.

Cheers

Earle
amg731

Thanks Earle...

Post by amg731 »

Thanks Earle, sounds like I'm on the right track just in time to re-master a previous album for re-release. I'm excitied about it.

Thanks for the tool, and get to work on the compression in Har-Bal. The possibilities are like a mind stimulate :lol:

Much Love,
LRG
LeRoy Gibbs II
NU-Level Records LLC
"A Key to Your SUCCESS"
amg731

Post by amg731 »

Also at which stage do you dither? In Wavelab before going back into Har-Bal, or after Har-Bal back into Wavelab?

Thanks
LRG
LeRoy Gibbs II
NU-Level Records LLC
"A Key to Your SUCCESS"
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

amg731 wrote:Also at which stage do you dither? In Wavelab before going back into Har-Bal, or after Har-Bal back into Wavelab?

Thanks
LRG
Leroy

Always remember that dithering is the very last stage. So after you have completely finished with the file you can convert it to 16bit in Wavelab, Soundforge, etc...

Earle
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

har-bal wrote:

1. Open the newly mixed down track in Har-Bal use the low shelve to shave of everything below 45hz and then press the intuitQ button

3. Bring it into Wavelab for surgical EQ (usually not necessary depending on the mix)Compression

4. Bring the track back into Har-Bal for final limiting and a bit of air because I use a reference file for loudness matching (based on the genre)and it maintains volume consistency through the entire album. (I rename the song to the song title after I press the record button)

Previously I would only use Har-Bal for balancing the spectral content and finish it off in Wavelab or some other sound editing program.

Cheers

Earle

Hi Earle,

You sure make this process seem so extremely simple and fast without ever needing much manual tweaking or sculpting. Certainly, in many tracks you must run into some fairly steep individual peaks or deep valleys that IntuitQ doesn't deal with. So, even with the use of the IntuitQ feature, to what extent do you find yourself making manual sculpting adjustments to further balance out these areas ?

Tom
amg731

Post by amg731 »

Thanks Earle I'm on my way to make it work...
LeRoy Gibbs II
NU-Level Records LLC
"A Key to Your SUCCESS"
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:
har-bal wrote:

Cheers

Earle

Hi Earle,

You sure make this process seem so extremely simple and fast without ever needing much manual tweaking or sculpting. Certainly, in many tracks you must run into some fairly steep individual peaks or deep valleys that IntuitQ doesn't deal with. So, even with the use of the IntuitQ feature, to what extent do you find yourself making manual sculpting adjustments to further balance out these areas ?

Tom
Tom

Yes, I do receive some tracks that may have large peaks or valleys, but I listen to see if there is a reason for it like a loud handclap or the types of instruments used.

The great thing about the intuitQ function is that it immediately balances the audio for for me. That is what is most important.

Cheers

Earle
amg731

Post by amg731 »

Earle, I've been paying close attention to the before and after with the IntuiteQ, and then comparing the results with references I've generated from some choice CDs of the the same genre and style. First my mixes themselves have greatly improved by using Har-Bal as a means to train my ears visually, and the results have all seem to come very close to the references.

This is still amazing to me. There is still the occasional spike here and there, but for the most part, IntuiteQ comes very close with some tweaking to the reference right out the gate.

And the new limiter is NICE! Gets me the volume, consistently without the whole 'squishy' no dynamics, then Air takes it over the top. Har-Bal is the truth...

Thanks Again,
LRG
LeRoy Gibbs II
NU-Level Records LLC
"A Key to Your SUCCESS"