Imaging Question

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
Mister

Imaging Question

Post by Mister »

Insights into Imaging:

In addition to the process discussed on this forum (affectionately known as the "L- R thingy"), are there any other processes/secrets used that can solidify and enhance a mix's image? I've been attempting to research, via the Internet, the Haas effect and how it would apply to mastering but so far no real insights yet. Any tips would be greatly appreciated as it seems many mastering guys keep these a well-guarded secret.

Thanks!
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

I'm not sure how useful the Haas effect would be at the mastering stage. My personal view is that if you wish to employ it at all you'd be doing it on individual tracks in the mixing stage. Once everything is mixed together it pretty much loses its usefulness.

From my perspective, most recordings that I hear which have an imaging deficiency are usually a result of a lack of spaciousness and that is usually a result of lack of recorded ambience rather than positional processing.

Regards,

Paavo.
Mister

Post by Mister »

Hmmm - that's what I thought. I was very curious about Bob Katz' stereo imaging technique, particularly the processes employed in his DD-2 K-Stereo imager. He discussed this topic in his book Mastering Audio but was rather coy about it when applying it to mastering, only referring to this unit, the DD-2.

Still, are there any other procedures that anyone would like to share?
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

I was actually thinking in the perspective of a recording engineer rather than a software or hardware developer. Certainly, if you are willing to do some DSP development you probably can make use of the Haas effect to come up with a process for mastering.

I've seen the promo literature for the DD-2 K but it wasn't very insightful so I can't really help in uncovering the "mystery" behind it. Then again, I have no idea how good it really is and have never "knowingly" heard the results obtained with it, but if you believe what Bob Katz says about it then it's the bees nees.

Regards,

Paavo.
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

I'm leery of anyone named bobcats, I mean Bob Katz.

This 'black art' of mastering is mostly fascinating to me simply by the pseudo-cloak of what it supposedly is not.
Mister

Post by Mister »

It pays to be one's toes, I suppose, but I think we're getting a wee bit off topic!

The tips I could offer regarding imaging seem rather simply technical, more of an overall corrective nature, not anything magical - I was just wondering if there were other techniques to enhance imaging.

Cheers.
DjSolstice

Post by DjSolstice »

Has anyone ever tried using the delay feature sliding bar under the stereo widening bars in Izotope Ozone. I never touch these, but I noticed a major increase of stereo width when doing so. Thing is, it usually messes up the mono compatibility.

Sol
Ged Leitch

Post by Ged Leitch »

DjSolstice wrote:Has anyone ever tried using the delay feature sliding bar under the stereo widening bars in Izotope Ozone. I never touch these, but I noticed a major increase of stereo width when doing so. Thing is, it usually messes up the mono compatibility.

Sol
Hi Sol, yeh those stereo widening tools in ozone are quite powerful, the delay option i've not used, then again i've never had to add any stereo widening techniques to the mixes i mastered last year(2005)
I think its really easy to screw up the original intention of the mix with those tools but i do think they come in handy on occasion.