quick question about the new har-bal/intuitQ

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

har-bal wrote:
You can download it from the link below. It is a metering tool and it is free.
http://voyager.adsl.dk/knef/vumeter/

Cheers

Earle

Earle,

Regarding the VUmeter . . . when using the oscilloscope to analyze distortion, what should we really be looking for? I've read the comments on the Voyager site, but I'm still not sure I fully understand it. For instance, one line reads: "when you see flat parts on the incoming sound on the white curve . . ." What is the white curve??

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:
har-bal wrote:
You can download it from the link below. It is a metering tool and it is free.
http://voyager.adsl.dk/knef/vumeter/

Cheers

Earle

Earle,

Regarding the VUmeter . . . when using the oscilloscope to analyze distortion, what should we really be looking for? I've read the comments on the Voyager site, but I'm still not sure I fully understand it. For instance, one line reads: "when you see flat parts on the incoming sound on the white curve . . ." What is the white curve??

Tom
Hello Tom

The incoming signal will appear as two white curves as the signal is being monitored. If you see any FLAT incoming flat lines it is an indication that the original wave form is clipped. If you increase the signal strengh of your monitoring signal you will see it more clearly. I usually play the track in a regular sound editor (pre-Har-Bal) while observing the signal on my second screen. I will usually advise the client to return to the mixing phase and correct the clipping if they are able.
It just makes for a cleaner final product.
This can also been seen on a regular oscilliscope, but the harware versions are way too expensive.

Cheers

Earle
Mutley

Re: quick question about the new har-bal/intuitQ

Post by Mutley »

har-bal wrote:
adamlloyd83 wrote:ok, just a quick question...
The next thing to remember is that any sound that is percussive (drum, bass, techno keyboard, etc) should be centered at 12:00.
Earle
Hi Earle

Could you please clarify this, it sounds like you are saying all drums should be centered in the mix, which doesn't make sense :?

I record a lot of material with latin percussion - bongos/congas, maracas, tambourine, cowbell etc, Usually I'd put the bongos at centre and spread everything else.

Thanks.
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

Mutley wrote:
har-bal wrote:
adamlloyd83 wrote:ok, just a quick question...
The next thing to remember is that any sound that is percussive (drum, bass, techno keyboard, etc) should be centered at 12:00.
Earle
Hi Earle

Could you please clarify this, it sounds like you are saying all drums should be centered in the mix, which doesn't make sense :?

I record a lot of material with latin percussion - bongos/congas, maracas, tambourine, cowbell etc, Usually I'd put the bongos at centre and spread everything else.

Thanks.
The instruments you mentioned above are the exception. I am talking about a typical 5 person band setup

A regular drum set
A bass guitar
A lead guitar
A keyboard
A lead singer

Kick drum and snare drum centered. (Shell mount tom toms and floor can be panned) Cymbals and high hats panned.
Bass guitar centered.
Lead singer centered. (Background singing should be panned)
Lead guitar should be panned.

The keyboard can be centered if the music coming from it is percussive. For instance "techno". otherwise it is best to pan it.

The instruments you mentioned above can be panned anyway you desire. They are percussive also but they are usually not the driving force in a track. They are enhancers.

There are no rules, but there is fundamental placement required when you are creating a wall of sound.

Cheers

Earle
Mutley

Post by Mutley »

har-bal wrote:
Mutley wrote:
har-bal wrote:
The instruments you mentioned above are the exception. I am talking about a typical 5 person band setup
Right, gotcha.