Suggest Some Good-Sounding CDs?

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
FunDog

Suggest Some Good-Sounding CDs?

Post by FunDog »

Earle/Paavo,

How about listing 5 or 6 CDs (or LPs) of various styles, rock, jazz, folk, hip hop,
classical—anything really, that you think really stand out, as far as sound is concerned.

Could be records that you mixed, or somebody else.

Your commentary on why, if desired, will be appreciated.

Thanks

FunDog
doogle

Post by doogle »

hi man, i know it wasnt directed at me, but one that i think is bloody briliant to listen to the whole way through is Paty Metheny Secret Story. The producing was done by him and Steve Rodby, David Oakes, Mastered by Ted Jensen 1992. To me this is one of the best things ever done, the whole thing is so sweet man. You always want to hear the end of each song and are tempted to turn it up and not down. Hope you like it.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

I got another suggestion on something pretty recent that, as far as I can see, has not been mastered by a mastering house and sounds pretty incredible to my ears. I could listen to it for hours and it is musically very impressive. It is "Tuva Rock" by "Yat-Kha". You can find more details here:

http://www.yat-kha.com/html/what/yat_kha_cds.php

I've also heard their take on "when the levee breaks" by Lead Zeppilin (from "Re-Covers") and again the quality of the recording is very high. I've been trying to get a hold of their "Re-Covers" album but haven't as yet. It's certainly a case of the big thumbs up for independent artists from me. I'd recommend a listen to anyone as their musical interpretation of Rock with their Tuvan folk influences is something truly inspiring.

Cheers,

Paavo.
mflorio

Post by mflorio »

One of my favorite sounding rock cd's has always been that Toy Matinee album (early 90's - haven't heard the recent remaster and can't imagine how it could have been improved). There is no mastering credit on the album either ! In my opinion, the early 90's are when the best sounding cd's (sonically) were being made - before the LOUDNESS WARS !

Mike
Schlieren

Post by Schlieren »

Last edited by Schlieren on Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ropro

george michael - patience

Post by ropro »

hi,

my favorite album when it comes to mastering is george michaels - patience. :shock:

greetings from germany

robert
BlkGost

my choices

Post by BlkGost »

for hip hop I would say kanye west's late registration
for rap I would say Get Rich Or Die Trying *soundtrack*
for r & b Dwele's newest cd is amazing
for lounge Blue Six sounds good

Of course these are based off my ears and my various stereo systems

-M