Suggestion: Normalize (flatten) the reference curve

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
brubart

Suggestion: Normalize (flatten) the reference curve

Post by brubart »

Please consider adding this new function: the ability to normalize (flatten) the reference curve, and apply the same correction to the loaded file's curve. Two advantages would be:

1. It's easier to match a straight line than it is to match a complex curve.

2. The normalized display would directly show the difference between the reference curve and the loaded file's curve. We could tell at a glance, "I need to add 4 dB at 315 Hz." Or we could tell at glance, "Putting the mic near the sound hole boosts 80 Hz by 10 dB."

The word "Normalized" or whatever should appear onscreen when it is enabled. This function would not be the default.

Thanks for the opportunity to make suggestions.

Best wishes,

Bruce Bartlett
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Bruce,

Sounds like an interesting idea. I'm not sure how to fit it into the UI at the moment though. I guess my main concerns are one of mis-use and accidently having it in that mode and not realising it. On the other hand, we shouldn't be restricting HarBal for the sake of a few who might mis-use a particular feature.

Regards,

Paavo.
mflorio

Post by mflorio »

But wouldn't a "match reference curve" button achieve the same thing, and be much more intuitive ? And then we can use the Frequency Response graph of the filter to see the adjustments.

Mike
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Yes, I agree. It is an extension of the intutiQ principles and I thought of doing it for version 2.0 but put it aside as it has some extra issues to be handled carefully so I wanted more time to think about its implementation. There'll be something along those lines in the next major release I'd guess.

Cheers,

Paavo.