Don't understand...

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Ged Leitch

Don't understand...

Post by Ged Leitch »

the thing I don't understand about why so many folk (pro Mastering engineers included)
diss Harbal is that all iit is basically is a static Equalizer.
i mean it's really just the same as
having a extremely flexible parametric + shelving outboard EQ!
only difference is that Harbal has the visual guide to help.
imagine this scenario...

1st engineer (using outboard EQ) - "this tune sounds harsh in the mids, i'll dip around 3khz by 2db "

2nd engineer (using Harbal)- " yeh, i hear it too, it shows up on my peak spectrum around 4khz, ill dip it by 2db"

1st engineer - " could do with some sparkle, i'll add 1.5db at 10khz"

2nd engineer - " I think so too, i'll hi shelve by a couple of db around 10khz"

and so on ....
now bear in mind BOTH guys are OBVIOUSLY using their ears to judge, but i'd say the guy using Harbal has an edge due to the visual guide and the flexibilty of the program.

So i see no reason to diss this great product!
yes it's an invaluable equaliser
yes it can get you quicker results
yes it does actually sound good
no it wont make your badly recorded mix done on an old 4 track sound like top ten chart material
No, matching your spectrum exactly to a reference won't make it sound as good as the reference.
But looking AND listening to references will help you understand about balance between bass mids highs etc...
Yes I love it!!!
Phi Lion

Post by Phi Lion »

Im gonna have to try this thing for myself and stop believing the so called pros at PSW

Youve got me very interested there Gerald.

Plus this place is so helpful.

Nice place to be.
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

"I don't understand about why so many folk (pro Mastering engineers included) diss Harbal..."

Same reasons drummers hate BFD...

Same reasons session singers hate Celemony...

Same reasons guitarists hate Real Guitar...

They (mastering dudes) fear being replaced. It's only natural, I guess.

I for one, don't need 'em anymore. :lol:
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Another thing I've wondered about people who've pilloried "visual" equalisation is whether they use and RTA of an kind. If they do then I guess they are being a tad hypocritical since and RTA is spectrum visualisation, unless of course it's just there for their entertainment and not to be used to make decisions.

Paavo.