How to punch the bottem end using multiband dynamics

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
william g

How to punch the bottem end using multiband dynamics

Post by william g »

Dear Earle

Just would like to know
1. How do you punch the bottem end using multiband dynamics?
2. How do you make a track sound thicker (or chunkier) Fat etc.
thank you await your reply
william
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: How to punch the bottem end using multiband dynamics

Post by har-bal »

william g wrote:Dear Earle

Just would like to know
1. How do you punch the bottem end using multiband dynamics?
2. How do you make a track sound thicker (or chunkier) Fat etc.
thank you await your reply
william
William

You use a compressor to make the sound thicker. Which multiband compressor are you currently using?

Earle
adamlloyd83

Post by adamlloyd83 »

i actually recently discovered the PSPMix Pack...all the stuff in there is fun to play with but the Saturator is the only one i really use...it sounds incredible...Fills out the bottom, warms it up, gets rid of any nasty stale low midrangey crap...You need good monitors in order to hear which frequencies you want it to focus on and it takes some tweaking to get an optimal result, but the presets are a good place to start.
william g

Post by william g »

Hi
Thanks for the reply, really appreciate.
When it comes to multiband dynamics, I have got the ultimate sound machines (all DSP Platform). My favourites are MD3, from and master X5 from tc electronics.
And precision multiband dynamics from universal audio.
All I want to know how would you punch the bottem end and make the track thicker.
With that I should complete my journey to the perfect sound.
My knowledge on expanders and how to use them is very limited. If you can help thank you God bless .

Thanks
william
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

william g wrote:Hi
Thanks for the reply, really appreciate.
When it comes to multiband dynamics, I have got the ultimate sound machines (all DSP Platform). My favourites are MD3, from and master X5 from tc electronics.
And precision multiband dynamics from universal audio.
All I want to know how would you punch the bottem end and make the track thicker.
With that I should complete my journey to the perfect sound.
My knowledge on expanders and how to use them is very limited. If you can help thank you God bless .

Thanks
william
William

The first thing I would do during the mixdown phase it to make sure my kick drum and bass is isolated. You can usually do this by low/hi shelving the respective areas of their frequency ranges.

Once this is done lower the volume of everything in your mix that is not percussive. I.E guitar, background vocals, sax, etc.

Bring up the drums and assign a compressor to it. What sound are you looking for. Do you want the drums to pump as though they are matching the tempo.
Set the attack and release to the minimum setting and set the ratio at the highest setting or maximum.

Now pull down the threshold until it is activating the compressor. You have to decide how far you want to pull it down. Use your ears at this point. Once you are satisfied

Now start adjustint the attack to control how big you want the sound.
Once you are satisfied you can start with the re;lease setting. This is where you can control the punch and you can actually have the pumping moving in time to the music.

Now start bringing the ratio down until the beat starts to take on a shape of its own

You have to make sure you are listening as you make these changes. You will soon discover how to listen to a compressor and what it is actually doing to the music.
There is a great book out on this subject and it is called "Mixing with your Mind". Try and pick up a copy.

Try these settings to get started.

Ratio 4.0
Attack 53ms
Release 964ms
Threshold -6.0 ( Don't forget to pull this down until it is hitting the track)
Gain 1.0 (Or to taste)

Start lowering the threshold into the music until you hear a nice tightness.

Cheers

Earle
william g

Post by william g »

Dear earle
the book that you mentioned "Mixing with your mind" having problems finding it couldyou let us know who the author is so we can further our search. thanks
william
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

william g wrote:Dear earle
the book that you mentioned "Mixing with your mind" having problems finding it couldyou let us know who the author is so we can further our search. thanks
william
William

Below is the link where you can obtain the book. The author is a friend of ours and he is a brilliant engineer.

www.mixingwithyourmind.com

The article he is called "Cracking the Compressor" is absolute genius.

Earle