Problems with limiter and resulting levels

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Mark

Problems with limiter and resulting levels

Post by Mark »

Hi guys,

I've encountered a problem within harbal while working on my latest project.
I import my mix as normal, balance the spectrum and then load the rock reference file and match the volume levels to it.
However when I import this newly 'har-baled' mix into wavelab to perform dithering the levels are only peaking at around -20 to -17 RMS.
I've no idea what's causing this. I thought it might be an overly loud kick drum on the tracks that might be pulling the overall track volume down so I remixed the song with the kick turned way down. However this made no difference.

Up until now I've never encountered this problem while using harbal, my tracks generally sounded loud and peaked at -12 RMS. Having compared my current tracks to tracks from my previous sessions using harbal, the difference in volume is considerable.

Any help you can give me regarding this issue will be most appreciated.

Many thanks, Mark.
Ged the undead

Re: Problems with limiter and resulting levels

Post by Ged the undead »

Mark wrote:Hi guys,

I import my mix as normal, balance the spectrum and then load the rock reference file and match the volume levels to it.
However when I import this newly 'har-baled' mix into wavelab to perform dithering the levels are only peaking at around -20 to -17 RMS.
I've no idea what's causing this. I thought it might be an overly loud kick drum on the tracks that might be pulling the overall track volume down so I remixed the song with the kick turned way down. However this made no difference.

Up until now I've never encountered this problem while using harbal, my tracks generally sounded loud and peaked at -12 RMS. Having compared my current tracks to tracks from my previous sessions using harbal, the difference in volume is considerable.

Many thanks, Mark.
Hmmm...
Im not Paavo or Earle, but, i think i'm right in remembering that i read Bob Katz said something about the level meter in wavelab is off by 3db, something to do with conforming to the AES EBU standard when steinberg wrote the software.
I'm sure i'll be corrected though :lol:
cheers,
Ged.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hello Mark,

Have you got the latest patch for Har-bal (released about a month ago) that fixes an issue with the match loudness functionality. It sounds as though you may be using the older version. In any case, could you please email us (support@har-bal.com) your analysis (.anl) file for the track your balancing and the filter (.mfl) file for the EQ applied and I'll take a look at it and see if I can make sense of it.

Thanks,

Paavo.
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Problems with limiter and resulting levels

Post by har-bal »

Mark wrote:Hi guys,

Many thanks, Mark.
Mark

Check your email. We have sent you something.

Cheers

Earle
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the speedy replies! The link that was sent to me with an update seems to have done the trick. It's strange though because I was already using version 2, but I uninstalled it and re-installed the version that was emailed to me and now everything seems to be back to normal.

Many thanks though, much appreciated!

Cheers, Mark.