Any cool updates planned soon?

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Ged the undead

Any cool updates planned soon?

Post by Ged the undead »

Was thinking about whether there are any updates coming soon for Harbal guys?

cheers,
Ged.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

There's nothing on the immediate horizon. I have plans for a number of things which require significant restructuring of Har-Bal. As such I don't envisage a beta for at least 3 months or so. Tentatively, I'm thinking of:

1) Mid-Side Eq processing.
2) Improvements to IntuitQ plus tools to apply intuitQ to a selected frequency range only.
3) Integrated single band compressor.
4) Improvements to track analysis with added info such as track envelope statistics and possbly introducing a live display of the instantaneous spectrum when the track is playing.

1) & 4) require significant restructure of the analysis engine. I'm also starting to think the whole product could do with a significant restructure a a clearer demarcation between process and GUI related tasks. Doing that re-structure now will help for future developments and help in the Mac port as well.

Cheers,

Paavo.
Ged the undead

Post by Ged the undead »

HarBal wrote:There's nothing on the immediate horizon. I have plans for a number of things which require significant restructuring of Har-Bal. As such I don't envisage a beta for at least 3 months or so. Tentatively, I'm thinking of:

2) Improvements to IntuitQ plus tools to apply intuitQ to a selected frequency range only.
4) Improvements to track analysis with added info such as track envelope statistics and possbly introducing a live display of the instantaneous spectrum when the track is playing.

1) & 4) require significant restructure of the analysis engine. I'm also starting to think the whole product could do with a significant restructure a a clearer demarcation between process and GUI related tasks. Doing that re-structure now will help for future developments and help in the Mac port as well.

Cheers,

Paavo.
number 2 sounds a great idea Paavo, as well as the m/s option.
cheers,
Ged.
trina

Me likes What you say

Post by trina »

WOW sound Great!

Have you by the way looked at that AAMS? I really like the sound of it too!

You Geniouses :idea:
R
COOL 8)

Trina
Ged the undead

Re: Me likes What you say

Post by Ged the undead »

trina wrote:WOW sound Great!

Have you by the way looked at that AAMS? I really like the sound of it too!

You Geniouses :idea:
R
COOL 8)

Trina
I'm probably gonna kick myself but whats AAMS trina?
trina

AAMS

Post by trina »

Hey Ged,

This AAMS is supposed to (and forgive my ignorance of the whole thing as I just found it today and already meessed up the 21 day trail) hear your tracks and suggest settings for EQ, compression, and loudness, plus batch matching to both individual and then the whole mix if you want. and that's if it works as it says and I understood and explained it O.K.
Maybe you could check and verify:
<Sined Supplies Inc>

I think thats the web adress if not write me back!
trina

might be wrong

Post by trina »

Hi Ged again,

Sorry try this <curioza.com>
Hopefuly this works!
But no matter cuz Paavo will take care of everything anyway!

I love tech

Trina
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

I'm aware of AAMS but haven't looked at it in great detail. They have a somewhat different approach than the one we've adopted in Har-Bal. I'm keen to keep our identities distinct by implementing "our" ideas in "our" way. It's always good to see how other people are dealing with EQ issues though.

Cheers,

Paavo.
trina

Hey Paavo

Post by trina »

Hey Paavo,

Thanks for Harbal and the new.. :idea: .I feel I know by reading your past post how you feel about compression and then sound quality so I can only imagine how wonderful it will turn out...

I love that you can see traces in Har-Bal and that should help a green person like me especially. Is there a chance of visual compresion ? I am so not that good but I need a doctor DRe mix by yesterday :!: O.K. I know I'm asking a lot but you are a revolution starter and you've created the first miricle already!

This is how badly I need your products: I live in a small town where the best and fanciest studio (by the way does the one shot cause no one ever comes by twice) that records stars and commercials etc... charges $250.00 an hour and your music comes out completly mono, and the only thing stereo is all background vocals are all the way left and the lead 100% right. When i go to studios around here my boss's 7 year old grand daughter says it sounds better when i do it myself tape deck box bounce to other tape deck box for free! That's not right! If I want a good result I have to drive 4 hrs away ,do a minimum $2000.00 in advance block, toss up on the newer than me engineer , the just now able to get clean signal, or the phenominal most high who really is too tired to shine on my small project so the intern is secretly making his debut while he is obviously dazed out of his mind, OH, a 2 year backlog booking time!

Now i'm going to try not to mess up some compression while dsicovering the great concept of elemental audio's Neodynium which since I can't say it probably means.....
anyways hope to figure out what i'm looking at too!

Gotta get better!

Seriously, Thanks for the Old and the New!
Trina
Phi Lion

Post by Phi Lion »

HarBal wrote:There's nothing on the immediate horizon. I have plans for a number of things which require significant restructuring of Har-Bal. As such I don't envisage a beta for at least 3 months or so. Tentatively, I'm thinking of:

Cheers,

Paavo.

What about being able to apply compression to a selected portion of the frequency balance.
trina

YES PHI

Post by trina »

Yes, Phi,

I totally agree with that :idea: and or portions of the sound! This seems wonderful! :D

Maybe this is turning out comments and suggestions though :!:

Trina
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

I have a different approach planned for that issue but it is rather complex and will take quite some time to implement fully. I have a personal bent against the "multiband" compression approach as I don't think it is the optimum solution to that problem. It certainly is possibly the best thing on offer at present but I'm planning on tackling the issue in a different way. It's all theoretical and untested at the moment so I won't bother going into any more detail, suffice to say that when I've prototyped it you'll no doubt hear about it.

Cheers,

Paavo.
Phi Lion

Post by Phi Lion »

Sounds cool.

I'm sure if you were to implement compression you would want to do so in a way other than most current multibands do.

Meaning that they can be a bit destructive at the crossovers.
Emusic

Post by Emusic »

Hi Paavo.
Even though we it looks like we won't have anything new anytime soon, I very much appreciate the straight forward response regarding updates and indication of planned changes.

With regards to your list of things,
#1 would be very cool.
#2 Yeah , I would dig that!
#4 regarding the instantaneous spectrum display could be very cool. I had thought about something along these lines, but didn't know quite how to phrase it. But some kind of "animation" option during playback would be nice to tie the visual and audio aspects together more closely to help confirm eq change choices.

Cheers, Emusic1

Cheers,

Paavo.