Match Loudness Question

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Philip,

The air thing confuses me because I tried it last night on the latest build and could not reproduce the behaviour you described. That is, I loaded a track cranked the air up to 100% and toggled the air button and could clearly hear it switch in and out during playback. The one thing I didn't remember to check is whether the air is disabled when the EQ file is written. I shall do that tonight. Can you explain the exact steps you take to produce the behaviour your are describing?

One other thing regarding the bass issue. You might find that you can get the sense of bass without the cone breakup by emphasising the higher harmonics of the instruments in question. That is, raising the level in the 100-300Hz region but leaving the level below 100Hz relatively low. The higher harmonics can imply the lower ones giving a perception of more bass than there really is.

The shelving I was referring to is equivalent to using high pass filtering or the shelving tool in Har-Bal.

Cheers,

Paavo.
Philip

Post by Philip »

Paavo,

This issue is not connected to writing the EQ filter, in that I simply open a file, apply max air (with the EQ and Air buttons engaged), I clearly hear the Air, then disable the Air button, which has zero effect. I toggle it back and forth and nothing happens and the Air effect stays constant. The only way to disable Air is to disable EQ with the button, or move the AIR slider back to zero. It is as if the Air switch is totally dead. When I toggle the EQ button, it enables / disables EQ and AIR together as one effect.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for the guidance regarding bass tones / energy. I am getting closer and closer, it just takes time.

Philip
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

Philip wrote:Paavo,

This issue is not connected to writing the EQ filter, in that I simply open a file, apply max air (with the EQ and Air buttons engaged), I clearly hear the Air, then disable the Air button, which has zero effect. I toggle it back and forth and nothing happens and the Air effect stays constant. The only way to disable Air is to disable EQ with the button, or move the AIR slider back to zero. It is as if the Air switch is totally dead. When I toggle the EQ button, it enables / disables EQ and AIR together as one effect.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for the guidance regarding bass tones / energy. I am getting closer and closer, it just takes time.

Philip
Philip

Send an email to our support with your customer ID number so we can send you another copy. The issue you are experiencing is most unusual. After you send us your customer number we would like you to send us a 1 minute copy of the file you are working with. I would be willing to guess that the reason you don't hear a change toggling the AIR button in and out is because the file is mono. The Air button would have a zero effect on a mono file.
Do you understand why?

Earle
Philip

Post by Philip »

Earle,

I just downloaded the latest version 2 days ago, which did not resolve the issue. Do you have yet another newer build...?

The files are not mono, and I think your missing my repeated point, which is that I hear the air perfectly, it's the air button that does nothing. I have explained this in detail twice.

It happens on 88.2k 24 bit files as well as 44.1 / 16 bit.... all stereo. I do not work in mono.

Thanks,
Philip
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Philip,

I'm out of the office at the moment but will try again to repeat the problem you've described. Thanks for the explanation on what you are doing. It helps me no end in reproducing problems. I'll let you know what I find when I have a chance to look at it.

Thanks again,

Paavo.
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

Philip wrote:Earle,

I just downloaded the latest version 2 days ago, which did not resolve the issue. Do you have yet another newer build...?

The files are not mono, and I think your missing my repeated point, which is that I hear the air perfectly, it's the air button that does nothing. I have explained this in detail twice.

It happens on 88.2k 24 bit files as well as 44.1 / 16 bit.... all stereo. I do not work in mono.

Thanks,
Philip
Philip

I have just loaded a file and maxed out the air fader. After about 10 seconds I toggled the Air button off and the effect was immediate. I could hear the difference right away.
I am asking our folks in this forum if anyone is experiencing the issue Philip is describing here.

1. Load a stereo track into Har-Bal
2. While the music is playing increase the AIR fader to 100%
3. About 5 -10 seconds later toggle off the AIR button

He has stated that on his system he does not hear a difference. When he toggles the AIR button on/off he does not hear a difference. We are unabe to reproduce the issue he is experiencing.

Cheers

Earle
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Philip,

I just tried to reproduce the Air problem you are referring to and again I can't get it to mis-behave. I've put Air to 100% so I could clearly hear it and then clicked off the air button and the change is clearly heard. I tried different volume and gain settings and the behaviour was still as I expected. I can't explain why it isn't working for you except that I recall behaviour along those lines in a earlier version. Please double check that you are running the latest release. The version I tested was the one dated 26 January 2006.

Regards,

Paavo.