Using Har-Bal at the end of the mastering chain

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
navizzle

Using Har-Bal at the end of the mastering chain

Post by navizzle »

What do you think about using Har-Bal after running through T-Racks Eq, LinMB, and L2 to even out things as a final touch?

The limiter seems to handle the output level and I leave the Limiter Gain and Volume at 0.0. Am I crushing the file too much? Even big label CDs start sounding bad after listening so closely so much. :shock:
Michael Hansen

Post by Michael Hansen »

I have done somthing like this in the last few masterings. I think this post compression equalization makes sense, specially if you're working with reference curves, since these references mostly already are mastered/compressed.

Here's the steps in my mastering process:

1. If needed: DC offset correction, bitdepth -> 24bit and mild noise removal (remastering)
2. Pre EQ (Harbal) + mild Air, no limiting! I lower the output if needed.
3. Multiband + Parallel Compression
4. Multiband Stereo Balancing/Enhancement
5. Post EQ (Harbal) + Limiting
6. Peak Maximizing (not normalizing..) and eventual 16bit bitdepth conversion.
timejunkie

Post by timejunkie »

I am curious about this as well.

Can I use "match loudness" after I have eq'd in Har-Bal and added compression (SoundForge) or am I just degrading the signal?

1. Import wav to Har-Bal and EQ (or Intuit Q)
2. Add Air (No more than 20%)
3. Import to Sound Forge and add Compression/Noise Reduction
4. Import back into Har-Bal and match loudnes

Your help is always appreciated.

Cheers,
Chip