Error on Play: "The specified device is already in use.

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
MasterX

Error on Play: "The specified device is already in use.

Post by MasterX »

Hello. I purchased and downloaded Harbal last night, and I'm looking forward to using this excellent software! Right now, I am having a problem:
I can load a song, but I when I click the play button, I get the error message: "The specified device is already in use. Wait until it is free, and then try again."
I have no other programs open, and I get this message always, even after a fresh boot.
My soundcard is an RME 9632 and I have the latest drivers.

Any ideas? I've tried everything I can think of. Thank you very much!

PS, Is there a way to select the soundcard from within Harbal? I couldn't find any way to look at the device settings from within Harbal. :?:
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

You select the device through the Options/Driver menu item. You should be selecting an ASIO driver or a DirectX driver. Multimedia drivers are one app only driver interfaces so if another app has one in use you can't use it.

Regards,

Paavo.
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

If you are using RME's TotalMix, you sholuld be able to observe if anything is being sent to your soundcard or out of it.

What you have described sounds as if another application has taken priority of one of the banks/outs. Try selecting a HIGHER pair within Har-Bal. I use outs 11 & 12 (second bank of eight) bacause I sometimes have Cubase or GigaStudio open.
MasterX

Post by MasterX »

Thanks! Somehow I missed the device selection option. I appreciate the help, and now, onto Har Bal!