WAV File Import ???????

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
lucky

WAV File Import ???????

Post by lucky »

I've connected my Laptop to Studio Monitors. I tried mastering one of our Tunes. I tried many variations, all starting with IntuitQ.

The sound is inferior to what I get through my Tascam 2488 through the same Monitors.

What is the best method to import song WAV files to Har-Bal & get highest quality?

Can I go direct from my Tascam 2488 to Har-Bal Program?

Thanks,

Lucky
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

Simply open up your 'mixed.wav' file.

It should sound EXACTLY the same if you have the audio routed correctly within your computer. You perhaps have an inferior sound card.

If you work Har-Bal correctly, your mix WILL sound better.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Lucky,

What have you used to connect your laptop to your studio monitors? It may be that the sound device is inferior as Zumbido suggested or it may simply be that the sound device defaults have some stupid effect switched on by default and that is colouring the sound.

For example, I bought a cheap Soundblaster USB device for a laptop and it works fine when in the right mode but the default has some very dodgy sounding head transfer function simulation for headphones to make them sound like speakers. I don't like it in headphones and through speakers is a definite no-no so I have it switched off but it did take me a while to figure out why it sounded like crap.

Paavo.
lucky

Post by lucky »

I'm using Monster Cables routed through a switchbox to Roland DS-90 Monitors.

Our Recordings are at 16 bit but are very clean.

I import Songs via CD through something called Audio Grabber. Then drag to Real Player {WAV files @ 1411 kbps} save as Document on Computer.

Is there a way to Import directly from either a CD or my Tascam 2488 to Har-Bal. I think it's something in the chain that is the cause.

Thanks,

Lucky
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Lucky,

What are you using for sound output on your laptop?

Also, why don't you use a ripping software package to extract the CDA file to wav directly. Most software bundled with DVD/CD burners do this (Nero for example). Otherwise you can use this open source software to do it:

http://www.cdex.n3.net/

Cheers,

Paavo.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Not sure I understand what you mean, "What am I using for Sound output on my Laptop?" I just plug cable from Laptop to my Powered Roland Nearfield
DS-90 Studio Monitors and turn the volume control up on my Laptop.

Audiograbber is a free Ripper. That may be my problem. It probably isn't as high quality as I want. What should I be looking for in a Ripper as far as Bit or Whatever?

My Studio consists of a 24 Track Tascam 2488, 16 Track ADAT, Mixing consoles, P.A./Speaker Sets, Compressors, Limiters, several FX, 5 Amps, Pre-amps, 3 Sets of Monitors, various Mics., 12 Guitars, 2 Keyboard Sequencers, Drums, drum machine, Tuned Aurelex treated Studio etc. etc. Most of which can be used for Live applications.

With the exception of the 2488 nothing is Computer/Software.

I'm curious how much in the way of extra Computer gear I need to buy in addition to my full fledged 24 Track Studio in order to Har-balize a Song?

Thanks,

Lucky
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

I'm not familiar with the 2488.

But... can you:

1) Export a 24-bit/48kHz stereo .wav file from the Tascam 2488 to your computer?

2) Open this 24-bit/48kHz stereo file in Har-Bal (without any conversion)?

3) Make the adjustments in Har-Bal?

4) Transfer the Har-Bal'd 24-bit/48kHz stereo file BACK INTO the Tascam 2488?

5) Play this 'new' file with satisfactory results?

It sounds like your are losing something by using RealPlayer (eww!) or you have an inferior soundcard that can't play 24-bit/48kHz stereo files.

I've made records with Har-Bal. It works.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Lucky,

I suspect your problem is the fact that you are using the internal sound device on your laptop and it may not be very good, or it may have some effect switched on that degrades the sound.

Have you done any simple tests to confirm the quality of your laptop sound card like taking a track from your tasam 2488 without modification and playing it back through your laptop driving your monitors.

The problem with most laptops inbuilt sound cards is that they only have a headphone out and a mic in socket. The headphone out is coming through an op-amp headphone power amp which is typically not that good. You should really have a line out going to your Tascam 2488 and then going to your monitors through your mixing desk rather than direct to the monitors via the headphone out.

If you want a good quality external sound device then you should look at the Audiophile 24/96 USB device from M-Audio. If you don't want to spend that much the Soundblaster USB one I mentioned before works fine provided that you disable that 3d headphone effect!

Cheers,

Paavo.
lucky

Post by lucky »

I will try running laptop outs to Tscam 2488 to Monitors.

We must be getting pretty good mixes in the Studio as we don't see radical changes when we add IntuitQ. There are changes but subtle.

It's difficult to give a critical isten with the current setup for the above reasons. Hopefully this will do the trick. so we can hear the difference before vs. after. Right now we don't hear any major difference.

Thank you,

Lucky
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Yep, if your mixes are already good then you won't hear major differences. Some subtle differences are only apparent after listening to the tracks for a long time (a fatigue thing).

Also you might even find that it could sound slightly worse depending on how good your original mix was and what your room colourations are. The point to keep in mind here is that although it might sound slightly worse in your environment it will more than likely transport better to other listening environments that don't share your room colourations.

I don't suggest you necessarily take my word for it. Put it to the test by all means. Make a couple of different masters with and without intuitQ processing and see which one transports better.

Cheers,

Paavo.