Red Book

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
James

Red Book

Post by James »

:?: Hi there and thanks for this great forum.
I think that I read on the forum that programs like nero for CD burning automatically produce a Red Book master. Being quite new to this aspect of recording I'm not totally sure what Red Book does/is. Would it matter if the nero CD was done under "copy CD" or would it have to be selected under "create audio CD" with the tracks added manually? In other words would both methods end up with a Red Book CD? :?:

Thanks

James
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

"Red Book" is the CD music format specification. Legend has it that it was called "red book" because all the notes on the CD music format were kept in a red folder. There's another standard for CD data which I believe is called "blue book" for similar reasons.

Which method you use is up to you. I suspect all closed session (ie. you can add to the CD later) CD music and CD music & data combined formats conform to re-book. I no expert on this though.

Paavo.