Har-Bal PAID FOR ITSELF (and more)

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
FRDiamond

Har-Bal PAID FOR ITSELF (and more)

Post by FRDiamond »

I am the sound manager/producer for a large church. A couple of months ago I purchased Har-Bal and began to learn to use it.

The church Christmas concert for 2005 consisted of excerpts from Handel's "Messiah" for a chamber orchestra and a large choir. I recorded the concert and had 10 days to mix it. I used headphones to mix it because I don't have monitors. On the day the cd was due I still had huge problems with the mastering eq and consistency of levels between tracks. I'm not that good at these kinds of things and I had stayed up all night trying to finish it and it still did not sound right.

Out of desperation I found a Berlin Philharmonic recording that I really liked the sound of, one that had fairly large frequency and dynamic range and applied its eq to each one of my 17 tracks with the Matching cursor; all the way from 10.2 hz to 20.8 Khz. I looked briefly at the curve of each track to make sure there was nothing out of the ordinary, made just a couple changes here and there on a few tracks, and then applied the Intuit Q button to smooth out the curve a little bit. I matched each track to the loudness level of the classical.anl that comes with Har-Bal.

That was it. I burned the cd and listened to it on my car stereo on the way home where the Music Director was to come over to my house to pick up the cd master. If it didn't sound good I didn't know what I was going to do because I was out of time. But as I listed in my car It sounded great to me for the first time. The music director picked the cd up. Two nights later he called me up at home to tell me that he had just listened to the cd and and how excited he was about it. He said it was the best recording that had ever come out of the church. I knew it had to be good then, because he is VERY picky about recordings, even commercial ones, and he never says things like that.

I have listened to the cd on different systems since then and it still sounds good on every one of them. This last Sunday the Music director announced to me that he was so happy with the cd that the church is giving me a $500.00 bonus for my efforts.

There's no way I could have done the cd that well without Har-Bal. No way. I didn't expect a bonus at all; it was a complete surprise to me, but it paid for Har-Bal five times over, and I've got a good cd to listen to besides. Not a bad deal at all!:^)

Cordially,
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Har-Bal PAID FOR ITSELF (and more)

Post by har-bal »

FRDiamond wrote:I am the sound manager/producer for a large church. A couple of months ago I purchased Har-Bal and began to learn to use it.

The church Christmas concert for 2005 consisted of excerpts from Handel's "Messiah" for a chamber orchestra and a large choir. I recorded the concert and had 10 days to mix it. I used headphones to mix it because I don't have monitors. On the day the cd was due I still had huge problems with the mastering eq and consistency of levels between tracks. I'm not that good at these kinds of things and I had stayed up all night trying to finish it and it still did not sound right.

Out of desperation I found a Berlin Philharmonic recording that I really liked the sound of, one that had fairly large frequency and dynamic range and applied its eq to each one of my 17 tracks with the Matching cursor; all the way from 10.2 hz to 20.8 Khz. I looked briefly at the curve of each track to make sure there was nothing out of the ordinary, made just a couple changes here and there on a few tracks, and then applied the Intuit Q button to smooth out the curve a little bit. I matched each track to the loudness level of the classical.anl that comes with Har-Bal.

That was it. I burned the cd and listened to it on my car stereo on the way home where the Music Director was to come over to my house to pick up the cd master. If it didn't sound good I didn't know what I was going to do because I was out of time. But as I listed in my car It sounded great to me for the first time. The music director picked the cd up. Two nights later he called me up at home to tell me that he had just listened to the cd and and how excited he was about it. He said it was the best recording that had ever come out of the church. I knew it had to be good then, because he is VERY picky about recordings, even commercial ones, and he never says things like that.

I have listened to the cd on different systems since then and it still sounds good on every one of them. This last Sunday the Music director announced to me that he was so happy with the cd that the church is giving me a $500.00 bonus for my efforts.

There's no way I could have done the cd that well without Har-Bal. No way. I didn't expect a bonus at all; it was a complete surprise to me, but it paid for Har-Bal five times over, and I've got a good cd to listen to besides. Not a bad deal at all!:^)

Cordially,

FRDiamond

We love to hear success stories such as this. It makes it all worth it and gives us the energy to keep moving forward.

Much success to you

Cheers

Earle
shanecgriffo

Post by shanecgriffo »

great story! thats great to hear.