Hello to All

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
SkipB

Hello to All

Post by SkipB »

Hi, I am new to the Harbal Forum and just wanted to say hello to everyone here,and perhaps share secrets.I have learned so much from this Forum already,and am excited about this great Program and any future upgrades.I am really impressed with how Paavo and Earle are there to answer any and all questions,and are willing to share secrets that most engneers or developers would dare not do.Thanks guys for a great Program that has proved invaluble for all that use it. :D
"Who's worried about the marsh when your up to your waist in Alligators"
SkipB

Post by SkipB »

I wanted to share some ideas and settings I have been experimenting with the last couple days while Mastering a few songs.I don't always use outboard gear for every song, and so the settings and ideas here are solely done with computer software.What I use for this experiment is Harbal,Wavelab 4.0,Waves LinMB,and Waves L2.Through the years there has been a lot of debate on using high sample rates ie 96khz versus 44.1 and each side has its advantages and disadvantages.

Well for this example we will bring a 44.1 24 bit file into Harbal first and do whatever shaping if any and then record and save.Next open Wavelab,but I'm sure any wave editor will do, but for this example I will be using Wavelab.Now you will upsample to 88.2 24bit then click the render button,and tick the box thats says create new file.This way no changes will be made to the original file.Now for all those who do not have the capability to hear sample rates above 44.1 or 48 don't worry as we will be processing using fixed settings and the finished result will surprise you.Once the new file is made, open Waves LinMB and at the top static presets choose ADAPTIVE MULTI ELECTRO MASTERING.Play the song all the way through and while the song is playing watch the master out of the plugin and if at anytime you see the red indicators light click the trim button,and do this until the red indicators no longer light.Once the song is finished, match the Threshold with the numbers at the bottom of the plugin, turn dither on then render,but this time tick the box that says process in place.Ok when finished rendering right click on Waves LinMB in the effects box and remove.
Now open the Waves L2 limiter and choose from the preset drop down box Hi Res CD Master.Set Quantize to 24,then render with the box ticked process in place.Once rendered save this file as a 44.1 16 bit and playback.Listen to the nice silky highs clear mids and tight punchy bottom.Now as I said this was an experiment and may not work in all situations but give it a try on some of your songs,and if you come up with any other ideas please share.I would like to thank Paavo and Earle for sharing their expertise,because the ideas from this experiment was actually spawned from ideas they shared.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Thanks SkipB for the compliments. Earle and I really appreciate it and feel motivated to take HarBal further when we hear that people are getting good results!

I'm interested in your tip and what the results sound like, unfortunately my setup is light on so I don't have the stuff needed to reproduce it. I'm sure Earle will give it a try though.

Cheers,

Paavo.
Har/Bal

Lets check it out!

Post by Har/Bal »

Skip

I tried your process and it works quite well, especially when you correct he spectral content of the song with Har-Bal.

I am sure a lot of our customers will appreciate your tip.

Thanks for bringing new knowledge to the forum.

Earle
SkipB

Post by SkipB »

Thanks Guys,I should have pointed out that for Wavelab to work at this samplerate You will need a card that supports it,and even still, if you don't have a D/A converter to monitor on Analog monitors you still want hear it.But as long as you have the card its cool.
SkipB

Where is Everyone?

Post by SkipB »

Doesn't seem like there is to much going on In this Forum.I'm sure someone has something to share.I'm working on setting up an FTP on my Computer with before and afters using Har-Bal,I hope this is Ok with Paavo And Earle If not let me know Guys.I for one would like to learn as much as I can about this program and I think constructive critisicm especially with real world songs is the way.HAVE A GOOD ONE
Paavo

Re: Where is Everyone?

Post by Paavo »

SkipB wrote:Doesn't seem like there is to much going on In this Forum.I'm sure someone has something to share.I'm working on setting up an FTP on my Computer with before and afters using Har-Bal,I hope this is Ok with Paavo And Earle If not let me know Guys.I for one would like to learn as much as I can about this program and I think constructive critisicm especially with real world songs is the way.HAVE A GOOD ONE

Yes its been a bit quiet lately. I don't have a problem with you making your work available for appraisal via ftp but please don't put wav files to copyrighted material on your site unless you have permission from the copyright holder. If you want to demonstrate before and after on a commercially available CD just make your .mfl (filter file) available along with some notes saying which CD and which track so that others can try it out legally. I've have thoughts on a .mfl exchange concept on the web site but it hasn't progressed nay further than that.

Paavo.
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

I would gladly start hosting a filter file sharing feature (wow, say THAT ten times fast) at HRC...I already have a preset sharing feature in the paid member section, I could duplicate that in the public domain...of course I am sure you would rather have it at Har-Bal.com, which, depending on the server you are on (which, per my snooping around appears to be a full PHP/MySQL host) I could build one for you to put here.

Just say the work and give me access to your server (begin evil laugh here) :twisted:
Har/Bal

Sounds great

Post by Har/Bal »

A .mfl file sharing area is actually a great idea. I will discuss it with Adrian. If we have any questions we will consult with Dan.
We could put together a bank of them similar to impulse files.
I am sure that there are a number of folks out there with quite a few.

Can you imagine different filters based on the genre of music?

Earle