Magnitude, frequency range, audio out and zoom

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
magic-rabbit

Magnitude, frequency range, audio out and zoom

Post by magic-rabbit »

i cannot seem to set the MAGNITUDE scale to -95db - i have managed to set magnitude to -80db but range was not applied when apply was clicked, it seemed to only work when i closed the track and re-instated it, also when i managed to get the scale to change the top of the waveform (see below for track info) dissapeared from the top of the screen as the spacing on the magnitude scale is less between 0db and -10db than it is between -10db and -20db -

using ZOOM i managed to get the frequency range to 10 tetrahertz - surely measuring TACIONS is a bit beyond the range of most AUDIO PCs ? -

a wave file of a 1khz sinewave recorded at 0db showed an output voltage of 6 volts peak to peak on my scope when wave file is played back from my DAW - (i am taking the scopes feed from my Audigy NX2 USB soundcard line out) - when playing back same file in H the output shows only 3 volts peak to peak with limiter set to 0db - i would have thought that 0db in would be 0db out -

ZOOM 2 - using the zoom pointer the range that the zoom in/out applies seems a bit high, is there a user adjustable scale range for this -

i am exceedingly pleased with the frequency graph shown for the ikhz sinewave as it showed up all the harmonics generated - just want to see the full graph in same view -

Magic-Rabbit
He who listens with both ears HEARS a different tune
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

I believe you are using the zoom controls incorrectly (just clicking). They are click and drag zoom controls where you zoom into a region by dragging a bounding box and the zoom out shrinks the graph extent into the bounding box.

Playback of a sine wave on its own within Har-Bal when a filter is applied is likely to lead to problems because the loudness compensation ends up getting confused and adding more gain that the filter maths can handle. This may be the issue you are seeing though it has no relevence for real signals. I'd suggest using a pink noise track for calibration purposes instead.

Regards,

Paavo.