Using filter

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
bax3

Using filter

Post by bax3 »

When I add the filter to a song there is no change to the screen/display and the origional trace does not show. Turning the EQ on and off produces no change in the sound - I'm not sure the filter is actually doing anything at all. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Bax
Paavo

Post by Paavo »

Hi Bax,

What filter are you adding? I don't understand the context to your question, but it sounds like you've just got a flat filter. What does the frequency response view show?

Regards,

Paavo.
bax3

filter

Post by bax3 »

I created a couple of filters that seemed to be typical of the eq I want on songs. They are saved as .mfl files. As I read the instructions, when I load the .mfl filter file it will alter the sound spectrum for the songs I have loaded into Har-bal and then I can make additional changes as I wish.
As I mentioned earlier, I'm not seeing or hearing any changes to the green spectrum line trace when I load the .mfl filter nor am I hearing a change in the sound. I figure something is wrong somehow, but I have not used this feature before and thought it might be something I am doing.
I went back and recreated the mfl filter and tried again, but there is the same result. I notice that pressing the EQ button changes the dots to white indicating that the trace is being changed, but there is absolutely no movement in the trace. The filter and the song have very different traces.
Have I told you anything that will help?
Thanks,
Bax
Har/Bal

Hello Bax

Post by Har/Bal »

Bax

Email me your phone number support@har-bal.com and a best time to call you and I will go over the process for creating filters with you tomorrow.

Earle
johnlandi

I've been having the same problem

Post by johnlandi »

Just to let you all know, I've been having the exact same problem. As a matter of fact, it's the reason I'm searching through the Forum right now.
har/bal

Re: I've been having the same problem

Post by har/bal »

johnlandi wrote:Just to let you all know, I've been having the exact same problem. As a matter of fact, it's the reason I'm searching through the Forum right now.
How are you creating the filter?

The filter can only be created after you sculpt the spectrum. In other words you load your yoursong.wav and then open a reference file. All changes you make to yoursong.wav will be remembered if you create a filter at this point.
I. E. You increase the bass area 10db and then create a filter by choosing file/filter/save as
Now if you load a newsong.wav and then apply the filter you just created by opening file/filter/open and choosing your filter you will see an increase of 10db in the bass region.
The filter only remembers the "changes" you make.

If you load a file and then open a reference file and choose to save a filter without making any changes the filter will be flat so there won't be any changes.

Earle