Filter Questions Please?

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
HG

Filter Questions Please?

Post by HG »

Hi, I'm trying to work out what happens when I apply a Filter in Harbal.

I have created some filters and ref files of vocals / microphones and have tried applying them to my own vocal wav files.

Matching eq is hit and miss, sometimes it is perfect, sometimes off.

When I apply a Filter in Harbal I'm not actually sure if I can hear any difference? Can you explain the process to me or am I not hearing it, or am I doing something wrong? I'd appreciate your help, Thanks Henry
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

HG,

That sounds normal to me. If you are working on single instruments it can be much harder to hear differences in EQ in and out cases. The reason is because the spectrum is sparsely filled so your ears can much more easily pick out all the parts in the spectrum without being restricted by masking effects. As the spectrum fills up, masking effects become more prevalent so you hear EQ changes more readily.

Spectrum matching is rarely a good idea, though you can be lucky and get good results, but it is very much hit and miss. You are far better off respecting the original recording intent and spending some time to try and figure out which parts of the spectrum present problems. This is particularly true of sparse mixes.

It sounds like you are on the right track to me. Just keep on experimenting and you'll very quickly start to understand how to best use Har-Bal.

Regards,

Paavo.