How Do I...make a reference file (.anl)

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
dumbfungus

How Do I...make a reference file (.anl)

Post by dumbfungus »

I notice there are a few ".anl" files included with Harbal, but can I make my own? Do I just need to take a ".wav" and change the file extension?

May be a stupid question but I would like to know if it is possible.

Thanks,

DF
Har/Bal

Creating a reference fiLe

Post by Har/Bal »

DF

Anytime you load a file into Har-Bal a reference file is automatically created in the source directory where the file was originially located.

For example

I have a song in C:\mysongs\The beat.wav

If I load this song into Har-Bal an (.anl) file will be created in C:\mysong\The beat.anl

Earle
har-bal
Site Admin

Thanks for bringing that to our attention

Post by har-bal »

DF

That was actually a great question. We realized that we hadn't touched on this process enough.

Thanks again

Earle
dumbfungus

Wow

Post by dumbfungus »

Wow you guys are quick - thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.

DF
Paavo

Re: Creating a reference fiLe

Post by Paavo »

Har/Bal wrote:DF

Anytime you load a file into Har-Bal a reference file is automatically created in the source directory where the file was originially located.

For example

I have a song in C:\mysongs\The beat.wav

If I load this song into Har-Bal an (.anl) file will be created in C:\mysong\The beat.anl

Earle
A clarification on Earles point. Technically when you load a file an analysis file is created which you can use as a non-playable reference, either as is, or modified by a HarBal filter (.mfl file). As you also suggested, you can simply load a wav file as a reference (no need to change the extension) and then you will have a playable reference. Obviously, if you don't need a playable reference and you are compiling your own style references then you can save considerable disk space by just using the analysis file for the track.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paavo.