reference file from cd

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
exergy

reference file from cd

Post by exergy »

Hi there,
I am new to mastering field and I was really amazed with the power and flexibility of har-bal.

What I want to learn is: since the audio cds don't feature audio files in .wav format, I could not create a referance file from it directly. What am I missing, how can I create a reference file from a commercial favourite cd? thanx in advance!

exergy
Paavo

Post by Paavo »

Hi Exergy,

Yes you can create references from CD's but as you pointed out HarBal does not support reading CDA format so you'll need another application to convert CDA into wav. Most CD burners come bundled with software that can rip tracks into wav format. I use Prassi Primo on my main PC. Also most DAW editors have support for reading CDA. You can also get a freeware CD ripper app of the net called CDex which is pretty good. You can get it form here:

http://www.cdex.n3.net/

Cheers,

Paavo.
exergy

Post by exergy »

Solved the problem :) Thanx a lot Paavo!