How much longer until Har-Bal can be loaded as a VST plugin?

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
electro

How much longer until Har-Bal can be loaded as a VST plugin?

Post by electro »

How much longer until Har-Bal can be loaded as a VST plugin into Wavelab, Cubase, and Nuendo?
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

As I understand it, wait to see a Mac standalone version first.
Har/Bal

Hello Dan

Post by Har/Bal »

Actually, we are shooting for the last quarter of this year for both of them.

Earle
electro

Post by electro »

I think the plugin version of Harbal should be similar to they way Spectral Design Freefilter is set up. A learn button, so HAR-BAL can record a reference file for keeping the volume consistent while we tweak. Har-Bal can not be responsible if we change the reference material. The standalone version does not need this because it already knows the file that it is working with.

That learn button is probably the only difference between the plugin version and the standalone.
Paavo

How much longer?

Post by Paavo »

Hi Electro,

I had initially planned to make a pretty "quick and dirty" plugin so that I could get it out early. The thing I've been bothered about is not having an exponential explosion in code base size which would make product development and maintenance a big headache.

However, your question and some of your comments put the germ of an idea in my head and I think I have a solution that will maintain a largely common code base but lead to a superior plugin version (along the lines you are suggesting). Now that it is clear in my mind I can have a stab at it.

I suggest the earliest you can expect a alpha for the plugin version will be November but it all depends on how much time I get to spend on it. As the implementation is largely a case of massaging what is already there it may be sooner than that, but like I said, it all depends.

Regards,

Paavo.
electro

Post by electro »

Paavo, I am not a programmer, but isn't it possible to just insert your existing Har-Bal algorithim ito the VST 2.3 SPEC?
Paavo

Post by Paavo »

electro wrote:Paavo, I am not a programmer, but isn't it possible to just insert your existing Har-Bal algorithim ito the VST 2.3 SPEC?
Yes it is, but the big issue in software development is rarely back end stuff. It's in the GUI. That is what I was aluding to in my previous post regarding code bloat. If it were just a matter of implementing the filter it would be trivial but the key aspect to HarBal is the filter design part. In any case, like I said, I think I have a clean solution that satisfies my requirements, now I just need some time to implement it.

Thanks,

Paavo.
electro

Post by electro »

I am looking forward to the first plugin beta. I think that getting Har-Bal into VST 2.3 plugin format takes priority over the implementation of the arbitrary filter length support from the discussion in the other topic as higher sample rates are not that popular yet. I would like to use Har-Bal as the first plug in the master section of Wavelab 4, along with a few other plugins.
tboughner

Post by tboughner »

Paavo,

This may be what you are thinking already, but I think the best way to use Har-bal as a plugin is to create a 'bridge' VST, such as Melodyne's MelodyneBridge, or FX-Max's Giga VST Adapter. These plugins simply create a VST plugin that links to the master program. I don't know the ins and outs of how they do this, but it works (at least in GVA's case, the MelodyneBridge seems flaky). I would hate to have Har-Bal crammed into a typical little plugin window.
Tom Boughner
Praysong Music
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

tboughner wrote:Paavo,

This may be what you are thinking already, but I think the best way to use Har-bal as a plugin is to create a 'bridge' VST, such as Melodyne's MelodyneBridge, or FX-Max's Giga VST Adapter. These plugins simply create a VST plugin that links to the master program. I don't know the ins and outs of how they do this, but it works (at least in GVA's case, the MelodyneBridge seems flaky). I would hate to have Har-Bal crammed into a typical little plugin window.
There are two approaches that I've contemplated. The one you suggested above and the full blown VST plug. Both have there merits. It's possible that I'll implement both variants as the bridge version is a pretty minimalist addition. The main downside with the bridge version is that you won't be able to use the HarBal preview with ASIO drivers if your host app is using them. I know some other apps manage to get away with it but I have no idea how. There's nothing in the ASIO doco explaining this so perhaps it is a proprietory Steinberg thing.

The fully fledge VST plug would be constructed such that the filter design would happen in a seperate re-sizeable window so the screen size thing shouldn't be an issue. The interface would be the same as the standalone version but with some aspects removed (ie. play / record, que position slider etc removed).

Family commitments have made it difficult to get much done but I'm hoping to have something by Christmas or perhaps a little earlier. My appologies for the continued delays.

Regards,

Paavo.
electro

Post by electro »

Ok. I am looking forward to have Har-Bal replace Spectral Design Freefilter as the 1st plug in the Wavelab 4 master section.
tboughner

Post by tboughner »

Thanks Paavo - this will be a great addition!

Tom Boughner
Tom Boughner
Praysong Music
electro

Post by electro »

Any progress on this front?
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Expect to see a beta in January some time. Family issues have delayed me a bit and I had a bit of a hair pulling time trying to figure out a memory corruption bug in my code when putting it into a plugin. That is sorted now so progress should be a little smoother now.

Paavo.