Suggestions part2

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
Mr.Victory

Suggestions part2

Post by Mr.Victory »

Harbal version 1.5 works well, very well!
Some suggestion though for future thoughtouts;

The TAB;
Switching lines should be a button or menu option also, i also cannot see on screen witch one is currently selected and cannot select it with my mouse only. Its also a function that needs more representation on screen with a button or so.

Adjusting the reference points;
This works really well. But i dont know how to select it, really i just got to edit the reference points with the blue line. But cannot find out how to select that myself. A button on screen or so like the TABS would be nice.

Calculations in the Analyzer display;
I would like to up or down the source of ref in DB's by a fader or so.
I first used the 4 arrowed ZOOM button for this, but i was mistaken :)
I now use a full spread EQ and drag it down with the mouse to make the source display lines and ref display lines come closer together.
More appropriate would be to just lower or higher it with the mouse or fader or so.

Recalculation of the source (RMS/PEAK) This is easy.
I would like the outfile come across 11db RMS (yep i dont need the same RMS and no loudness gain).
So now i must use Record-As and see in wavelab what the RMS or peaks are. Then go back to Harbal and adjust the fader gain accordingly.
I would like an estimation on the RMS by pressing a button or so, and recalculating it , so i would not have to do this anymore.
!And i know harbal does compensate for loudness, so i know your answer.
!Its not what i meant, recalculation of the source by applying the currect filter or EQ state and calculate the peak/RMS again and show it on display.
Timesaver for me.

Hi low shelving, peaks, averages;
I did some things with High/Low shelving;
Hmm i was raising peak and lows for a while and then got in to low and high shelving, you can actually do a better EQ job with this (try it as a user) , but its more time consuming, but it is worthwhile
!!! If you have a big peak, take the high shelve on the peak, and turn it up all the way... dont care if its too high. Then go just leftside behind the peak (lowest point) and use the highshelve again but now take it down.
If you do this more times repeatedly the peak is away, and your EQ curve stays unharmed, it does far less accoustic harm then dragging peaks up or down. This is well programmed harbal! THX
But still some smoothing faders or average functions would be well accepted and recieved for comming updates.

0HZ and 20Khz editing;
As i have noticed that editting is more difficult in the area's around the rightside and leftside of the EQ spectrum. The end points.
Try adjusting a peak at 18Khz or so, and you find it more difficult to do than area's in the middle. Maybe this is caused by the fact that the analyzer line are ending over there and calculation is affected by it.
It doesnt need fixed, but would be nice though. Just like to inform.

The filter;
Currently the filter shown or saved, is to me a filter.
If i import a filter, i dont really understand its function.
You cannot match with it or anything, if you open it on another source it changes your graph and EQ.
Closing the program asks you to save the filter, and i only do this so i can go back to it if i need to undo things. But i never would use the filter on other sources? Its not matching anything between source or ref.
At first i got the program harbal and was thinking i would apply a filter to other sources , i would actually match source to reference, you can read about this in another post. Read it carefully or not, you might get offended by it, i dont know.... hihi

Have fun, and remember that!
Pink Noise

Post by Pink Noise »

(Hope the DBmasters crew are not reading this)
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions part2

Post by har-bal »

Mr.Victory wrote:Harbal version 1.5 works well, very well!
Some suggestion though for future thoughtouts;

The TAB;
Switching lines should be a button or menu option also, i also cannot see on screen witch one is currently selected and cannot select it with my mouse only. Its also a function that needs more representation on screen with a button or so.

Adjusting the reference points;
This works really well. But i dont know how to select it, really i just got to edit the reference points with the blue line. But cannot find out how to select that myself. A button on screen or so like the TABS would be nice.

Calculations in the Analyzer display;
I would like to up or down the source of ref in DB's by a fader or so.
I first used the 4 arrowed ZOOM button for this, but i was mistaken :)
I now use a full spread EQ and drag it down with the mouse to make the source display lines and ref display lines come closer together.
More appropriate would be to just lower or higher it with the mouse or fader or so.

Recalculation of the source (RMS/PEAK) This is easy.
I would like the outfile come across 11db RMS (yep i dont need the same RMS and no loudness gain).
So now i must use Record-As and see in wavelab what the RMS or peaks are. Then go back to Harbal and adjust the fader gain accordingly.
I would like an estimation on the RMS by pressing a button or so, and recalculating it , so i would not have to do this anymore.
!And i know harbal does compensate for loudness, so i know your answer.
!Its not what i meant, recalculation of the source by applying the currect filter or EQ state and calculate the peak/RMS again and show it on display.
Timesaver for me.

Hi low shelving, peaks, averages;
I did some things with High/Low shelving;
Hmm i was raising peak and lows for a while and then got in to low and high shelving, you can actually do a better EQ job with this (try it as a user) , but its more time consuming, but it is worthwhile
!!! If you have a big peak, take the high shelve on the peak, and turn it up all the way... dont care if its too high. Then go just leftside behind the peak (lowest point) and use the highshelve again but now take it down.
If you do this more times repeatedly the peak is away, and your EQ curve stays unharmed, it does far less accoustic harm then dragging peaks up or down. This is well programmed harbal! THX
But still some smoothing faders or average functions would be well accepted and recieved for comming updates.

0HZ and 20Khz editing;
As i have noticed that editting is more difficult in the area's around the rightside and leftside of the EQ spectrum. The end points.
Try adjusting a peak at 18Khz or so, and you find it more difficult to do than area's in the middle. Maybe this is caused by the fact that the analyzer line are ending over there and calculation is affected by it.
It doesnt need fixed, but would be nice though. Just like to inform.

The filter;
Currently the filter shown or saved, is to me a filter.
If i import a filter, i dont really understand its function.
You cannot match with it or anything, if you open it on another source it changes your graph and EQ.
Closing the program asks you to save the filter, and i only do this so i can go back to it if i need to undo things. But i never would use the filter on other sources? Its not matching anything between source or ref.
At first i got the program harbal and was thinking i would apply a filter to other sources , i would actually match source to reference, you can read about this in another post. Read it carefully or not, you might get offended by it, i dont know.... hihi

Have fun, and remember that!
All of the items you referred to concerning use are in the manual.

You can change reference lines by holding down the left mouse button and clicking on your tab button.

You can go outside the spectrum to infinity in either direction by clicking on the pan cursor...third button from the left on the top right. You can get back to the default screen by right clicking on the graph and choosing zoom all

Earle