192Khz Support?

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
goula

Post by goula »

Concerning the number of filter Har-Bal has, the Samplitude's FFT filter has more frequency bands (max 32 000 frequency bands, the number of frequency bands can be choosen)

Concerning high samplerates, if the final media is SACD/DSD or DVD Audio, a high samplerate can be recommended

Cheers,
goula
Paavo

Post by Paavo »

goula wrote:Concerning the number of filter Har-Bal has, the Samplitude's FFT filter has more frequency bands (max 32 000 frequency bands, the number of frequency bands can be choosen)

Concerning high samplerates, if the final media is SACD/DSD or DVD Audio, a high samplerate can be recommended

Cheers,
goula
Supporting higher resolution filters isn't difficult though there is little point in supporting more resolution than is reqired, or for that matter, less resolution than is required. Adding filter resolutions that scale with sampling rate isn't a big challenge but it needs to be done carefully so as to not introduce compatibility bugs or other file related problems (ie. this sort of a change has implications on analysis files and filter files that need to be carefully thought through). That is why it hasn't been addressed yet.

The real issue with EQ filters is not the resolution which should always be dicated by the sampling rate, but how easily you can design a filter with an appropriate frequency response for the task. Samplitude has a higher resolution but can you design a filter that matches the requirements as well as you can with HarBal?

Don't takes this as a crticism. I agree with your suggestion entirely but just wanted to point out where I think the key emphasis should be placed and why HarBal is different. I'll be working toward having a solution for you in the future.

Thanks,

Paavo.
goula

Post by goula »

(...) Samplitude has a higher resolution but can you design a filter that matches the requirements as well as you can with HarBal?
(...)
Paavo.
Of course not :wink:

Thanks, Paavo.

Best,
goula