Reference question for a dunce

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Allan

Reference question for a dunce

Post by Allan »

Hi,
Sorry for my ignorance but I need advice as to the corect way to make a reference file, I imported a wave file that I liked (elvis presley) from my cd and loaded into Harbal but I cannot find on the file menu the save comand for a reference file, also I tried to save the wave file (elvis presley) as a Filter file, no problem but when I import one of my songs and then import the Filter file (elvis presley) I see the filter name at the top in the middle of Harbal but the filter does not show up. I have read the help files and questions on this forum but still not quite sure what to do. I must appologise for my ignorance and not still being able to grasp it.
I hope you can explain the above for me.
Thanks,
Allan
har-bal
Site Admin

No problem

Post by har-bal »

Below are the steps to create a reference file.

1. Open Har-Bal
2. Load any song file
3. Go to the directory from where you loaded the song
4. You will find a file with your song name with a (.anl) extension.
5. This can now be used as a reference file in the future.

Using it as a reference file is as follows.

1. Open Har-Bal
2. Load your song you want to EQ
3. Click on the "open a reference" button and browse to the directory where your .anl file is located.
4. Click on it and click ok and it will appear on your graph.
5. Use your green line as a guide.

Earle
har-bal
Site Admin

Creating a filter file.

Post by har-bal »

Allan

*********************IMPORTANT**********************

Loading your song and then a reference file and not making any changes will not create a filter . You have to manually scuplt the spectrum for the application to create a filter. That is why you are prompted to save a filter only after you make a change to your song each time you close the program.

*********************IMPORTANT***********************

Hello folks

Lets say we have an album to master and there are fifteen songs to be done. We have two choices.

1. You can manually sculpt the spectrum by hand.
2. You can create a filter and use it as a guide for all your tracks.

Here it is:

You are working on your first song and as a matter of fact you may have found a reference file (.anl) that you would like to use. You labor over the spectrum for about 10 minutes getting the song to sound just perfect.

Now what?.....STOP... before you go any further click on file/filter/save as and give that filter a name.

No go ahead and press your record button and save your newly eq'd file.

We are done, right? Wait a minute we have 14 more songs to eq.

Here is where the Har-Bal filter performs magic.

1. Open your second song
2. Click on file/filter/open
3. Load your filter you created for the last song and instantly the eq settings applied to your last song are now applied to the track you are viewing. (Simple as that!)

If for any reason you can't see the entire graph just right click anywhere on the graph and choose "zoom all". In order to prevent this in the future just right click on The graph and make sure "auto scale" is checked.

Remember the filter feature works best when you have an album where most of the instruments used throughout the entire album where similar.

This also insures that your tone across your entire album is consistent.

Earle
Allan

Post by Allan »

Now I understand!
Thank you so much for your patience and help.

Allan
PS: Looking foward to when Harbal will be available as a plugin.
har-bal
Site Admin

You are quite welcome

Post by har-bal »

Allan wrote:Now I understand!
Thank you so much for your patience and help.

Allan
PS: Looking foward to when Harbal will be available as a plugin.
Allan

We are still working on a plugin and I am sure Paavo will put a great twist on it :)

Earle
Thalamus

Post by Thalamus »

So, I just loaded in a commercial track and saved out a filter based on it's spectrum.

Is it then possible to load in one of my own tracks and then load the commercial filter and have that imposed upon my track?

I tried this and it does not seem to work.
[] Peace []
har-bal
Site Admin

You are doing it incorrectly

Post by har-bal »

Thalamus wrote:So, I just loaded in a commercial track and saved out a filter based on it's spectrum.

Is it then possible to load in one of my own tracks and then load the commercial filter and have that imposed upon my track?

I tried this and it does not seem to work.
Allan

You are doing it incorrectly. There is no spectrum matching option in Har-Bal. The filter you create only remembers the changes you make to the spectrum.

So, if you load a reference track and load your song and want to create a filter you will have to manually move the dark green line so that it matches the light green line. When you are done matching your song you can then click on file/filter/save as and give it a name.

Now if you load a new song into Har-Bal you can click on file/filter/open and browse to the filter file you created and apply it.

Remember this: The filter simply remember the changes you made to your song only/ You can't load a commercial song and just believe you can super impose it. If YOU don't make any changes to the spectrum you will not be able to create a filter.

If this was the case it would sound absolutely terrible. Please read the manual entirely. It will give you a better idea of the overall concept and you will have much success.

Earle
Thalamus

Post by Thalamus »

Sure, I understand that there is no spectral matching per-se ..

But if I were to load a commercial track, grab the whole spectrum and drag it down (or up) a tiny bit .. then save those changes I assume you can then apply that filter to any other track?

Not really suggesting it's a good idea - just an excersise.
[] Peace []
har-bal
Site Admin

Yeppppp :)

Post by har-bal »

That is correct. Only the changes YOU make will be picked up. So if you load a track and do a large drop at the 64hz range and save it as a filter. The next file you load and apply the filter will have the same drop at 64hz

Earle