The referent lines ,what does it mean?

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
chain

Post by chain »

It means the real frequency or it just the example lines showing us.
Because,when I adjust the source lines to the same height as the referents's ,my source sound gets crazy.

thank you.
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: The referent lines ,what does it mean?

Post by har-bal »

chain wrote:It means the real frequency or it just the example lines showing us.
Because,when I adjust the source lines to the same height as the referents's ,my source sound gets crazy.

thank you.
Chain

You are using the program incorrectly. Additionally, read the manual included with the program.

Take a look at our starter tutorial at.
http://har-bal.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/ ... m.php?f=26

Cheers

Earle
chain

Post by chain »

Um...I think I can understand how it works.
But I'd like to know the meaning of the referent file-spectrum.

Does it can be a mold so that we can push the line to equal with the
referent file? and we could get the sound the same as referent file?

May be i'll try to explain next post.... :lol:

any way thank you very much for your response.
It the great...great...application I have tried.
even if I did it with incorrect way but I get the best result I've ever did... :shock:
Jay

Post by Jay »

chain wrote:But I'd like to know the meaning of the referent file-spectrum.

Does it can be a mold so that we can push the line to equal with the
referent file? and we could get the sound the same as referent file?
You should read the help file; it explains in detail what is represented by the lines. Unless you have the exact same audio info in your source file as in the reference file (which is virtually impossible for different songs), making the lines match exactly is pointless. To give an extreme example, say your reference file is hard rock and your source file is solo piano. The frequencies covered by a couple of distorted guitars, electric bass, and drums (and the emphasis of a given frequency) are so different from those covered by a piano that you'll be (de)emphasizing the wrong frequencies when you try to match the lines. It's not unusual for there to be a peak in distorted guitars around 3kHz, but that's much less the case for piano, so if you push the line at 3kHz in your piano file up to match that of your rock file, what you're probably doing is just boosting overtones in the piano file that will sound extremely unnatural (or "crazy", to use your word).

Even when comparing two different songs of the same style, it simply is not the case that the exact same frequencies over time will be emphasized, so tryiing to exactly match the lines in source and reference files is really a waste of time. The reference files show you the ball park rather than the blueprint.

Jay
chain

Re: The referent lines ,what does it mean?

Post by chain »

chain wrote:It means the real frequency or it just the example lines showing us.
So it means the real frequency... and it can be an example lines at the same time.:idea:

Thank you very much, Jay,
har-bal
Site Admin

Thanks Jay

Post by har-bal »

Chain

Remember to use the green line as your guide when you move your track into that ballpark.
Also....as Jay specified, the reference should be from the same genre.
The yellow line shows all the peaks and the green line shows all the holes in your track.
Try practicing without using reference files to gain a certain level of understanding of the concept. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Earle
chain

Post by chain »

Yes I agree.
The Har-Bal is really...really...easy great application ever.... :idea: