More .anl files, please

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
Jerry Pettit

More .anl files, please

Post by Jerry Pettit »

It would be nice to have more ".anl" files available for more genres, and perhaps for specific songs and song-types.

For instance, if I had done a song I wanted to sound like, oh, Bing Crosby's "White Christmas", or Metallica's "Enter Sandman"--it would be nice to be able to use "White_Christmas.anl" or "Enter_Sandman.anl" as a reference.

Jerry
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: More .anl files, please

Post by har-bal »

Jerry Pettit wrote:It would be nice to have more ".anl" files available for more genres, and perhaps for specific songs and song-types.

For instance, if I had done a song I wanted to sound like, oh, Bing Crosby's "White Christmas", or Metallica's "Enter Sandman"--it would be nice to be able to use "White_Christmas.anl" or "Enter_Sandman.anl" as a reference.

Jerry
Jerry

You can easily create your own .anl files by simply loading a wave file from your favorite cd into Har-Bal.
Any track you load into Har-Bal automatically creates a .anl file in the same directory as the source file. You can then move these .anl files to a folder and create your own library.

Go here for easy steps to creating your own reference file.
http://har-bal.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/ ... .php?t=133

Earle
Jerry Pettit

Post by Jerry Pettit »

Ok, thanks!

Jerry
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

Jerry Pettit wrote:Ok, thanks!

Jerry
Remember to use the green line as your guide.

Read this
http://har-bal.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/ ... .php?t=225

Cheers

Earle
Jerry Pettit

Post by Jerry Pettit »

Again, thanks.

But you know--I STILL think it would be a nice idea to have some kind of database of .anl files. They could be contributed by users (and I'll bet would be).

It would be nice to be able to browse a database and find some Metallica song's .anl, or Britney Spears ;-), and be able to download it to apply to one of my own songs.

It would save some work for me and I think this would be popular with your users. You could possibly have different categories: Classical, Heavy Metal, Grammy Award Nominees...

Jerry
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

Jerry Pettit wrote:Again, thanks.

But you know--I STILL think it would be a nice idea to have some kind of database of .anl files. They could be contributed by users (and I'll bet would be).

It would be nice to be able to browse a database and find some Metallica song's .anl, or Britney Spears ;-), and be able to download it to apply to one of my own songs.

It would save some work for me and I think this would be popular with your users. You could possibly have different categories: Classical, Heavy Metal, Grammy Award Nominees...

Jerry
Hmmm....sounds like an excellent idea. We will seriously consider it. We would have to find out if there any legal implications that may arise from posting the spectral content of copywritten songs on a public server.

Cheers

Earle
Jerry Pettit

Post by Jerry Pettit »

I wondered about the copyright issue myself (I'm a lawyer)--but I can't IMAGINE you can copyright a song's "spectral content"!!

I have Izotope's OZONE program, and I remember it coming with something like this involving actual song spectra (version 2 anyway).

But, yeah--if you put out an All Points Bulletin to your users inviting submission of .anl files, I'll bet you'd get a ton of response...

Jerry
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

Jerry Pettit wrote:I wondered about the copyright issue myself (I'm a lawyer)--but I can't IMAGINE you can copyright a song's "spectral content"!!

I have Izotope's OZONE program, and I remember it coming with something like this involving actual song spectra (version 2 anyway).

But, yeah--if you put out an All Points Bulletin to your users inviting submission of .anl files, I'll bet you'd get a ton of response...

Jerry
I will check further and strongly consider your suggestion. I think it is a fantastic idea. The .anl files are only 3kb so we could literally have a database with thousands of songs.

Earle
Jerry Pettit

Post by Jerry Pettit »

That's what I'm thinking. I think it would really be a selling point.

"As an added bonus, choose from thousands of songs analyzed with the software! You, too, can sound just like blah, blah, blah!!!"

Great software, by the way. Keep up the good work!

Jerry
mflorio

Post by mflorio »

Jerry Pettit wrote:I wondered about the copyright issue myself (I'm a lawyer)--but I can't IMAGINE you can copyright a song's "spectral content"!!
That would be like saying you couldn't try to figure out how someone gets a great guitar tone (unless the process is patented, of course !).

When it comes to songs, you can only copyright the melody/chords and/or a particular performance of the melody/chords. You can't even copyright an arrangement. And spectral content of two entirely different songs may be practically identical, so you cannot even determine uniqueness from that.

Mike
Jerry Pettit

Post by Jerry Pettit »

Good point.

Actually, you can't copyright chord progression either (otherwise, C-Am-F-G is in big trouble...), and I don't believe you can copyright a title. Not sure on that, though.

Jerry
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

haven't we discussed this before? Having a users-group site that users can upload and share their reference files and such? I am sure we discussed this about 6 months ago. As I recall, I offered to build it too...but nothing came of it beyond that.

[off topic]
Oh, also, you should best upgrade your PHPBB forum to 2.0.11. Anything earlier is seriously vulnerable to the orignal santi worm and all it's current variants: http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-12-21 for more info, it has been exploited in THOUSANDS of site, actually, at it's speed and effeciency, I am surprised this one hasn't been yet. It's a serious threat. Seriously http://it.slashdot.org/it/04/12/21/2135 ... 17&tid=169
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

dbmasters wrote:haven't we discussed this before? Having a users-group site that users can upload and share their reference files and such? I am sure we discussed this about 6 months ago. As I recall, I offered to build it too...but nothing came of it beyond that.

[off topic]
Oh, also, you should best upgrade your PHPBB forum to 2.0.11. Anything earlier is seriously vulnerable to the orignal santi worm and all it's current variants: http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-12-21 for more info, it has been exploited in THOUSANDS of site, actually, at it's speed and effeciency, I am surprised this one hasn't been yet. It's a serious threat. Seriously http://it.slashdot.org/it/04/12/21/2135 ... 17&tid=169
Okay Dan

Good talking with you on the phone.

Lets do it. Can you build the database that will enable users to share reference files?

Oh, and thanks for offering to upgrade our forum. We could sure use the help.....we have been swamped.

Earle
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

OK, the upgrade appears to be completed properly, after figuring out the goofy file structure of vDeck (yikes) it went error free.

Yes, I can build a system to upload files and share them, I'll work on that a bit over the weekend, I have all the code snippet from previous jobs (why reinvent the wheel, eh?) I'll just wrap your template around it so it fits in with the site and we should be good to go. I don't see it taking too long.

I'm really surprised your host didn't disable forums that weren't upgraded, many did due to the magnitude of this particular exploit. Oh well, we're all safe and sound now.
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

I am also thinking that the uploader tool could be used to upload song filters for the filter bank and such as well, thereby not having to email you guys each time somebody wants to upload their filter.

We will limit the file size to prevent people from being able to upload malicious files and forcing only a couple of extensions to be able to go up...the more I think about it, it'll be cool!